Knife scratch and bullet holes in CSS

Started by
14 comments, last by Willbo 19 years, 6 months ago
I wonder how to implement knife scratch and bullet holes just like what is in counter strike source? Anyone can give me any ideas so I can start? Many thanks!!
Advertisement
I thought it was done with decals - basically textured quads slapped over the surface where the bullet/kinfe hit.

Just a random guess, though.
Uh, no. It's totally done with ublar l337 deformable terrain that you can shoot a rocket launcher at and break out a wall because it's such a ubl4r l33t engin3.

...Actually, Mushu's right. It's a decal, layered onto the background. If you set max decals to 0, you won't even see them.
Things change.
Quote:Original post by Boku San
Uh, no. It's totally done with ublar l337 deformable terrain that you can shoot a rocket launcher at and break out a wall because it's such a ubl4r l33t engin3.

...Actually, Mushu's right. It's a decal, layered onto the background. If you set max decals to 0, you won't even see them.

Yeah, it is decals. I was fooled by my eyes again...
Then how to make the glass window? It seems shape of the
hole is random.
I think the glass gets decomposed into a series of quads with a texture that uncludes full transparencies.

One thing I'd like to see though, is on metallic materials, have a decal that isn't just a black dot but is a normal map showing an indentation, so that the bullet dent is seen with just bump mapping and specular lights.
A simple way to have 'random' holes, is to have a few decals and use one randomly whenever you need one (if you use decals, remember to clip them, so you don't have bits hanging off the edges of scenery.)
-- Jonathan
In CS: Source, the decals such as bullet holes and spray paint can be stretched accross multiple quads. How is this effect implemented?
I'm not sure what you mean by that, Dominicds.

I was in the Beta of CS:S, but now I happen to be too broke to buy it (well...more like not willing to spend money until HL2 reviews come out), so...a picture would be nice.

EDIT: It looks like you had some pictures...did you link them incorrectly (referring to deleted post)?

[Edited by - Boku San on October 12, 2004 12:02:48 PM]
Things change.
Any suggestions on easy ways to clip the decals? Or to bend them around corners where they lay on multiple faces?

Onnel
Quote:Original post by Boku San
I'm not sure what you mean by that, Dominicds.

Yeah, now I realize I wasn't very clear, maybe these images will clear things up a bit.

The bullet hole decal is mapped onto both sides of the pillar.

The "No War" spray paint is mapped onto both the ground and the stump.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement