Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John1

QBASIC stuff

ok, i know that this is the easiest language out there. I just spent the whole day learning it. I can write a simple (that''s about all you can code in QBASIC) program. I do have a few questions, though. 1) where can i get a compiler 2) are there any games coded in QBASIC? 3) if so, what are they?

How can you live with yourself knowing you use Qbasic?

I think there was a game called virtual pimp LOL it was so pathetic the graphics looked like an atari game and the gameplay was all but non-existant! Haha I can't beleive you are learning a language (If you can call it that) as pathetic as Qbasic

Maketty
(Matthew FitzGerald)
Knightvision Games

Edited by - maketty on October 6, 2000 7:37:51 PM

heheh... qbasic isn''t the best language, yeah, but you gotta start somewhere. if you just want the qbasic that can''t compile, i can help you. i actually do have qbasic 4.5, but it would be illegal for me to give it to you considering you haven''t bought it. there are no free qbasic compilers out there, but if you want me to email it to you (that is, if you have bought it and want another copy for some reason ), it''s 1.0Mb, send me an email. all games i''ve played that were made in qbasic were pretty not-good and i don''t remember where i got them, sorry.

Falden

I told you guys Qbasic is hilarious it is so cheap and pitiful you can''t help but laugh!!! Anywho in response to the you have to start somewhere, Yes that is true but I would start with C++

Maketty
(Matthew FitzGerald)
Knightvision Games

Nah, QB is cool! Here''s a start if you like Dragon Warrior style RPGs: [url]http://welcome.to/darknessethereal[/url] This guy is GOOD!

Sigh. Some people just aren''t open-minded enough to realize that even Q-Basic, as simple, old, and limited as it is, in the hands of a knowledgeable programmer, can do just about anything that any other language can do. Not to say that you can do OOP or anything, only as much as you can in C, in a way, even more so, because of the overloaded string operations, but I have seen complete graphical operating systems, like Linux, or Windows, programmed entirely in QB. Albeit, these were not as fast as their role-models, but they were done in QB, and they were done well. I have seen complete games written in QB, even impressive 3D graphics and texture mapping demos that equal those of other DOS demos made in C or C++. QB was the first language I learned, and it gave me the foundation to master other languages. Learning QB gave me the knowledge necessary to weed out the uneccessary, and to look at what is vital in a programming language. For anyone wanting to learn to program, QB is extremely simple to learn, and I would recommend to anyone that they learn it before moving on to more powerful languages, such as C, C++ or Java. So, to you who mock John1 for what he is doing, I pity you, because you are closed minded, and have little respect for others. John1 is learning his first language, which, I admit, could just as easily have been C or C++, but he made his choice because that''s what works for him. That is all I have to say for now.
farmersckn

Yes there were/are good games programmed in Qbasic. Check out the site in my sig, to find one such game, plus many others that are good, although I don''t think any good games have been programmed with pure Qbasic, most have a lot of assembly code in them.

-piksel
Piper's games

Its been a *long* time since i seen QuickBasic on the shelves (it makes exe outta qbasic code)

And Nibbles & Gorilla were fun.

I made a ad&d character generator in qb, got to the point that you could make two characters and have them fight. text stuff,
Magmai hits Maketty for 4 damage
Maketty misses Magmai

ran out of heap space shortly there after, and learned C.

Tip: don;t open a Guinnesss upside down, what a mess

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quick Basic Is Not Dumb Lame Or In Any Way Bad

Microsoft Made TONS Of Money Of It!
I Have QBX(Quick Basic Extended Verson 7.1)
It In Some Ways It Kicks C++ I Learned
How To Programming With This One And Now
Im Going C++ But I Still Love Its Great
Editor,Help On Commands And Also The Fact
That You Don`t Need To Use #Include

And For Graphics?! I Made A Game With
Great Graphics And QBX Uses Them Fine!
I Don`t Get Why People Are Against Microsoft
And QB Its Really Quite Pathetic.

Oh The Game Was Called: Maze Carnage

People don''t like QB because it''s not a very powerful language, you can only make DOS programs with it (which are falling further behind the times every day), and its speed is just pathetic. The only ways you can make QB do anything at a reasonable speed are by writing most of the critical code in assembly language, or being an optimization genius, in which case your talents are much better applied to something useful like C. Yeah, it can be fun and it''s good for beginners, but it''s not useful for anything besides hobby stuff. QB advocates can argue all they want that they''re pushing QB farther and farther, but they''re not. They''re just linking more assembly language to their programs.

And whoever said that they''ve seen a full graphical operating system written purely in QB... I think you''re confusing a simple GUI with a full OS.
</rant>

OK, sorry, I''m going to stay away from this thread now.

-Ironblayde
 Aeon Software

Hey man, i _think_ you can stil get GWBasivc here and there...
400DNS used to have it but they closed down...
Anyway...
QBs fun to learn your basic stuff on(no pun intended) and to play around with.
~V''lion

I came, I saw, I got programmers block.
~V''lion

Definetly in QB Darkdread''s pretty good, eh? Several of those have source code you can check out, I learned a lot from those games

Hi,
Ok, to answer your question, the compiler for QBasic is Quick Basic.( Now don''t go telling me that there''s no differences between QBasic and Quick Basic as there are. Qbasic came with dos 5.0 and up where as Quick Basic comes as a boxed program and has a compiler included. ) As far as are there games made in Qbasic, I don''t think so but My friend had coded a look alike of Final Fantasy using QuickBasic ( He had passed 10000 lines of code and QBasic had a limit of 10000 ) so he had to use QuickBasic 7.0 commonly called QBX. Hope this helps..

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
DLC Multimedia

Ah QBasic,

How I do not miss thee. But alas, it was an excellent learning tool. If you want some pretty good examples of things done in QBasic check out the old CMB Software game programming pages:

http://members.nbci.com/cmbsoftware/

Check out 2nd Encounter in the spotlight section, and a couple more in the downloads section.

I coded them looong long ago, I''d like to think the''re good QBasic examples.

Aienthiwan

I have a compiler called PowerBasic for QBasic. It was my second language, way back when.... (batch was my first, if you can call that a language) I am pretty sure it is free (I d/l it from a site for free), it just makes you wait a few seconds before you can open it/close it. It is every so slightly different from QBasic: the replace command syntax. It makes EXEs, and I used it to make my first encryption program (simple substitution cypher). I can email it to you if you want it... I think I still have the zip...

--------------------

You are not a real programmer until you end all your sentences with semicolons; (c) 2000 ROAD Programming

You are unique. Just like everybody else.

Yanroy@usa.com

Visit the ROAD Programming Website for more programming help.

It amazes me how some people on these boards can rant about how game design/writing should be the key element in a game, and then immediately contradict themselves by criticizing anyone who tries to use a language "less powerful" than C++.

Last time I checked, this site was run mostly for amature game developers. Some folks here are working on simple hobby projects that could be programmed efficiently in ANY language. Others are working on advanced engines that could pass for products created by a professional development house (I've seen some amazing stuff on these boards!)

The beauty of these forums is that a game developer of any skill level can ask a question about nearly any topic and usually expect a helpful and courteous reply. Let's not critize programmers who choose not to program in a way that's considered "the norm."

After all, programming is all about the end result, right?

Steve

.. just had to get my two cents in.

Edited by - SteveP3000 on October 10, 2000 3:23:08 PM

I really think that making fun of someone or putting them down for using Qbasic is not only ignorant and stupid, its immature and majorly shortsighted. Everyone has to start somewhere, and for a beginner knowing nothing about computers from the programming point of view, its a good place to start. It helps teach a lot of the basics of what programming is all about. It may not be the best language for making games or anything but the simplest programs, but it sure is easy to start learning programming from. The point of learning to program is not to make the best game or application possible, its just learning so that you become capable of making those great programming projects.

CPostClass *thepost;
thepost->done( "thats all folks" );

I am with you CNG. I learned how to program first in BASIC with QBASIC... It was great learning with it because I got the basics (no pun intended) down and then went on to Turbo Pascal and then C/C++ and Assembly (and the others ). Don''t laugh because it really is good for beginners... Good luck to all of you BASIC programmers

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche