• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Cryoknight

OpenGL DXUT question

This topic is 5177 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi All! I am trying to create a DirectX App for the first time. I've been using OpenGL for a few years, and want to see what DX can do.. Now, I've got a strange linker error that's not covered by the FAQ. I'm trying to use the DXUT framework, from "DX9 October 2004" Compiler: Visual Studio 2002 I am getting linker errors saying "unresolved external symbol" for all of the DXUT calls, and there is no DXUT lib file. example:
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "long __cdecl DXUTCreateDevice(unsigned int,bool,int,int,bool (__stdcall*) 
...<snip>

Here are the libs I'm including: "d3d9.lib" "dxerr9.lib" "dxguid.lib" "d3dx9dt.lib" "winmm.lib" "comctl32.lib" Here are the headers: #include <d3d9.h> #include <d3dx9.h> #include <dxerr9.h> #include <dxut.h> #include <dxstdafx.h> I've got the lib and include dirs listed properly in Tools->Options->Projects->Directories. I'm NOT using the Empty Sample Project from the samples browser. Too much to look at from the start... Has anybody had this problem and/or know how to fix it?

Advertisement
There is no library for the DXUT stuff. You need to add the .cpp and header files to your project, from the SDK's \Samples\C++\Common folder.

On my system:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (Summer 2004)\Samples\C++\Common.

When using the sample browser to create your project, these files are automatically added to the project and copied to your project folder.

HTH,
Cambo_frog

The missing piece of the puzzle...

I was just including the header, but hadn't directly added the .cpp and .h files to my project. That cleared it right up!

Thanks!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!