Sign in to follow this  

Untitled RTS strikes again!

This topic is 4787 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Project start date: August 18, 2004. [renders] house mill dock armory castle [units] swordsmen paladin [build 013 screenshots] screenshot1 screenshot2 screenshot3 morning night If you have remarks about the buildings looking warcraft3'ish then save your breath. The trees I made myself and I am the programmer so obviously they look like crap. We are still working on replacing the old (warcraft3'ish) models. Feel free to ask any questions. Playable demo release date (build 019) on December 22nd still holding strong. Thank you, Jonathon Davis Lead Programmer Templar Games [Edited by - jdavis on October 13, 2004 8:59:34 AM]

Yes, help is not needed but your opinions help us greatly.

I will post more information soon in regards to our public beta along with various other aspects of the game.

Our main purpose in this forum is to create a fan base.

Thank you,
Jonathon Davis
Lead Programmer
Templar Games

Very nice work!
What about dynamic lighting? It seems to be missing in your in-game shots. BTW. very impressive performance on a laptop!
I'd also revise texture coloring, especially for ground and interace textures. The stills look pretty dim and visually dull, could be because the dynamic lighting is not implemented yet, though.
Is the water animated using vertex or pixel shaders, or is it texture animation?

One small question, is the world ment to be that dark? I think that with some brighter lights, the game would look a little bit better.

Keep up the good work!

wow looks great, the ground is very nice and non repeative, Needs a little work on the water tho, seems you have most of the basics of the terrain down, nice job.
And about the name, Eh nevermind them! my games name is spacesim for god sakes. Might as well be called 'another random space game' lol, Names are of little importance (tho I do plan to change mine later)
Still, might wanna give it a 'project' name, if just something for it to be more easly refered to and not final at all.

I would like to thank everyone for their support and comments. I will let you guys know soon about the playable demo details. Those of you that responded with it being dark, that is because that is the time of day. It is suppose to be dark =)

darookie: Yes, dynamic lighting is implemented but we aren't utilizing it yet. We are trying to optimize the shadows right now.

Blackmoons: I am aware of your project, it is a nice one. Keep up the good work.

Thank you,
Jonathon Davis

[Edited by - jdavis on October 11, 2004 8:59:03 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Wow this looks REALLY awesome everyone and their mother should play this game because its going to be the COOLEST ever so buy lots of copies for you and ur friends!!!

Quote:
Original post by kooktroop
This game looks like its going to be good.

Have you got any deadlines or goals set?

Yes, all of our goals and deadlines were set before we even started. The demo design document is completed and we are adding more art each day. We are antisipating a playable demo launch on December 22nd. It will then be shipped to 7 different publishers as well as the community via demo sites and our website. I will keep you guys informed as more information arises. Keep checking the website as it will soon have full content :)

Also, we have 4 new units concepted.

Thanks everyone,
Jonathon Davis
Lead Programmer
Templar Games

This game reall looks promising. Good work Guys.

Is there some place i can get some nore details about the game ??

i would also like to know how many people are working for it and who is publishing it ?

Best Of Luck
Hanif Virani

Quote:
Original post by hanifv
This game reall looks promising. Good work Guys.

Is there some place i can get some nore details about the game ??

i would also like to know how many people are working for it and who is publishing it ?

We are working hard to get a site up that will explain enough detail. We should have most of the game's content up on the website by next week. Our team consists of seven people and a publisher has not been determined. We are sending the demo out to quite a few.

Thank you,
Jonathon Davis
Lead Programmer
Templar Games

Guest Anonymous Poster
You're going to want to dump the day/night thing... playing at night will be no fun judging by the screen shots.

Very nice screenshots and models. This is an RTS correct? Based on the shots, it appears to be a RTS game but the polygon amounts/texture res of the units and buildings seems to be very high for the genre. Not sure if you are this far along yet but- how many of those units can the game handle on screen without causing serious lag?

I ask as my company is also developing a RTS game- our poly limits are considerably lower which allows us to keep hundreds of the units on screen at one time. Was just curious as to your situation.

Micah Hymer
Reverie Entertainment, LLC
www.reverieentertainment.com

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
You're going to want to dump the day/night thing... playing at night will be no fun judging by the screen shots.

night looks fine to me..

as i recall warcrack3 has night mode too, actually facors into the gameplay a bit too, and ive never had any complaints about that, nor met anyone who has

i was wondering when u realese this game(the full version) are u going to have online play? beacuse i would get bored fast with out online play and im sure others will 2 people dont really buy warcraft and starcraft to play by themselfes and is it going to be fast paced like in starcraft or more statistacle like in warcraft and empires and games like that but it does really look good

new screenshot with real-time shadows!

Quote:
Original post by tribal_warrior
Very nice screenshots and models. This is an RTS correct? Based on the shots, it appears to be a RTS game but the polygon amounts/texture res of the units and buildings seems to be very high for the genre. Not sure if you are this far along yet but- how many of those units can the game handle on screen without causing serious lag?

I ask as my company is also developing a RTS game- our poly limits are considerably lower which allows us to keep hundreds of the units on screen at one time. Was just curious as to your situation.

It is hard to say what frame rate we will get when we have very little AI cycles right now. It can handle 300 units on the screen with real-time shadows but surely our frame rate will show a decent performance hit when we finish implementing the AI. :(

Quote:
Original post by pyrokid
i was wondering when u realese this game(the full version) are u going to have online play? beacuse i would get bored fast with out online play and im sure others will 2 people dont really buy warcraft and starcraft to play by themselfes and is it going to be fast paced like in starcraft or more statistacle like in warcraft and empires and games like that but it does really look good

We have three gameplay modes. Tutorial, Campaign and Player vs. CPU. We do not have plans for internet capabilities for the demo as of yet. However, in the final release, internet play will be our main focus.

Also, the website should be up in the next couple days. It should answer most of your questions.

Thanks everyone,
Jonathon Davis
Lead Programmer
Templar Games

Quote:
It can handle 300 units on the screen with real-time shadows but surely our frame rate will show a decent performance hit when we finish implementing the AI. :(

Interesting, maybe you can answer a few curious questions of mine...

Can you move those 300 units at the same time to a far point in the map without killing the frame rate? And what level of precision do those paths have?

Quote:
Original post by xor

Interesting, maybe you can answer a few curious questions of mine...

Can you move those 300 units at the same time to a far point in the map without killing the frame rate? And what level of precision do those paths have?

Yes, you can move those 300 units at the same time... to a far point in the map as in off of the screen? Then they aren't rendered period. If you mean in the furthest point of the view, yes it can still handle them. Can you be more specific about "And what level of precision do those paths have?". It creates a ray... if it intersects with an impassible object, it goes around it...

By far point in the map i mean, exactly that =). You have the position of all the units, and try to move them to a place that's far from the current position, far, but inside the map. I specified this because the longer the path is the harder to compute it becomes.

About the precision, there are lots of levels of precision.

There is the absolute optimal path, where you computes a 'perfect' path, walk one unit from that path, and then(predicting the map might have change or a unit might have get in the way of the original path) recalculate the intire path, walk another unit, recalculate, and so on until it reaches the end. This is extremely cpu consuming has you might know =).

Then there is random pathfinding, and all the other levels of precision between random and optimal, one basically calculates precision of the path by checking how much of it is equal to the 'perfect' path.

Anyway, i thought you guys were using A*, i was hoping we could compare some specs, ence my interest, maybe next time =).

Sign in to follow this