Sign in to follow this  

how to animate my model?

This topic is 4815 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello.. ---------------------------- i using : opengl + vc++ --------------------------- i'm trying to make my model move thru opengl and i now having problm regarding JOINT. i believe that i need to put 'joint' into my model first before i can animate it. however, i don't know how to. s/b told me that it's just a rotation. however, i still can't really figure out how to do. any1 know where i can find a good tut of how to insert 'joint' into my model and animate it? i've tried a day looking for it thru google. but still couldl't find any useful one that i can make use of. really appreciate for any suggestion. Tomhow [Edited by - tom_mk on October 11, 2004 3:04:25 AM]

what you say has no sense... you can't animate a model just by adding "joint" to it.

a joint is just what it means, a section of the model that bends.

there are two main methods to animate a 3d model, vertex skinning, and vertex tweening.

vertex tweening is what Quake3 uses for animate their 3d models, vertex skinning requires a virtual skeleton assigned to the model, and its much, much more complex than tweening (lots and lots of maths and other advanced stuff)

I suggest you to begin with "vertex tweening" first.

umm..

btw... i supposed to initially add the joint to my model right?
do any1 has a good tut on that?

another q : "vertex tweening" = linear interpolation method

Thx for any suggestion
Tom

Quote:
Original post by tom_mk
btw... i supposed to initially add the joint to my model right?

It's kind of other way around. You see, you have to create a skeleton first(it's a tree of joints), and for each joint assign it's initial position. Then if you rotate a joint around it's parent - you can call it animation of the skeleton.
You would have to divide your model into parts(logically, like parts of the body).
THEN you would assign each parts to a joint. The vertices from each part should then be transformed JUST as it's joint, so then they would be animated.
Quote:
Original post by tom_mk
do any1 has a good tut on that?

Not at all...

Cheers.
/def

i kinda getting more understand on this topic

wat i doing now

i trying to move my poodle leg
and in the middle of my poodle leg, there is a poodle angle

when i trying to move the pooddle leg.
it works. however, the angle ( sphere on my model ) doesn't follow the leg

this is wat i dooing
------------------------------------------
glTranslatef(0.6,-2.0,0.0);
glRotatef(angle_me,1,0,0);
dT(0.1,0.1,1.5,3000); // front left leg
glRotatef(angle_me,1,0,0);
glTranslatef(0.6,-2.0,1.0);
glColor3f(0.39,0.39,0.39);

// dT - draw a cylinder (radius 1, radius 2, height, #ofpolygon)
// dE - draw ellipsoid

-------------------------------------------

i using angle_me to roate my dog leg.

the prob i having is..
how can i make the angle and the leg stick with each other?

Thx for any suggestion
Tom

I am very sorry, but I am not an OpenGL-man, so could you please write it in some kind of pseodocode, or so?

Also, I had a very hard time resolving the meaning of some of the expresions you were using, as, "angle(sphere on my model)".
If I understood well, you are putting a joint in the direct middle of a body part(here, a cylinder), then you are performing the transformation of that body part, in relative to that joint's orientation. That is good, but for single part only.

Another thing, why you are putting the joint in the middle of the body part? Doesn't your leg rotate around the knee?

Sincerely.
deffer.

;););)

This topic is 4815 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.