Sign in to follow this  

Alienbrain alternative

This topic is 4815 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Actually, there are GUIs for CVS. Assuming you're using Windows, there is WinCVS and CVS Shell Extension. The best part is that both of the tools and CVS NT (the server) are all free.

I personally use CVS because of the ease of backup (a simple matter of XCopy), and the integration into Windows via the tools above. There are equivalents with Subversion also. The reason I don't use Subversion though is due to the lack of integration with Windows. For maintenance and restoration purposes, I would much rather do my work at the command-line rather than a *nix-like emulator command-line like Cygwin (this could show how out-of-date I am with Subversion though; Last time I used it you had to use Cygwin to administer it).

I'm not sure what Alienbrain is, but as long as we're listing off graphical CVS programs, I might as well bring up TortoiseCVS [tortoisecvs.org].

- Ben

As for Alienbrain, you can get a 2 concurrent license evaluation version from them at no cost.

They are very open to suggestions. A few of us at the St. Louis Gamedev meetup have sent in suggestions of features to remove to attempt to make a lower cost version that would be better for small shop developers and mod teams.

Alienbrain isn't just a CVS system. It does project management, asset management, as well as version control. Comparing it to CVS is like comparing a banana split to a banana. The bad part is the cost, about $1500 for a 2 seat license.

This topic is 4815 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.