Sign in to follow this  

Side Scrolling Beat Em Up with DirectX 9

This topic is 4812 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi All, Just a quick querry about the methods for creating a 2D side scrolling beat em up. As part of the Final Year of my Computer Games Programming projects I have been thrown into a Dev team anmd told that we have to create a fully functioning 2D game. The problem is that as part of my degree I have only done 3D programming and am now a bit lost. I am most comfortable with the Direct3D API for my 3D coding and as such was wandering how good it is for 2D stuff? Also are there any good resources for creating this sort of 2D game? I have absolutely no idea how to implement 2D character animation!! Thanks for any advise, Ben

Fortunately, since (I think) DirectX 8.0, 2D is not that different from 3D anymore.
I guess it depends on what you want to do, but there's always the possibility of using a orthogonal projection matrix (D3DXMatrixOrthoLH). I use this to render (flat) menus, scores, logos and what not in a 3D view. To me this is a convenient solution to display 2D in a mostly 3D game, but it might not be the most efficient method in al fully 2D environment.

I am quite comfortable with drawing 2D sprites etc within the DirectX enviroment, so doing something like Space Invaders would be no worries at all. The things I am unsure of is giving a 2D sprite character a walking/Atacking animations and handling the scrolling of the screen. For the screen scrolling would you simply load a huge background image that covers the entire level then have the camera moves along with the character.

Again thanks for any help,

Ben

Maybe I didn't understand the issue. I thought you had problems using 2D, but clearly you don't.
A scrolling background can be huge, so I wouldn't suggest to load it in at once. I would go with dividing the background into reasonable sections, and load and unload them when needed. The less memory wasted on background, the more you have left for other things, speeding up the game considerably. Ofcourse you'll have to preload sections, let's say, on the left and right to make sure the player doesn't have to wait for a new section to load.

Just do a search on 2D Tile Engines @ Google and you will find tons of tutorials and information about what you are trying to accomplish. 2D Tile rendering is easy, even with Direct3D. But building the maps and crating the data for them isn’t. Maybe you should also look into either creating your own tile map editor or using some one else’s such as Tile Studio.

I’m building my own tile editor and it’s coming along quite nicely. If I finish it in time, I wouldn’t mind if you wanted the exe + src for your project.

This topic is 4812 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.