Windows Folder Hiding

Started by
5 comments, last by bytecoder 19 years, 6 months ago
What will I have to tap into to hide windows XP folders so they cannot be accesed, of course the program will be able to undo the hiding to allow access. My freind made a program for ME and 98 to change folders to recycle bins or just plain data files and back. He was adding some kind of extension the folder name or something. Any ideas? Thanks Matt
Ut o not me again:) lol
Advertisement
Hey bru

I don't think you want to hide them. You want to lock them. If you hide them all you have to do is, in the command line type:

attrib -h <filename>

that will unhide a file. Or you could just make windows show all files.

So to lock the files, uhm...

The only way I've seen is you encrypt the files/folder and then delete the original. You could make the program automatically do this. The only problem is that if the folder is large it takes a while.

I won't ask you what you want to hide.

The ability to succeed is the ability to adapt
I had to do something similar in perl once. What I've come up with is putting the whole directory into a zip container and deleting the original. The basic zip library ("zlib") is available for most any language. It does become slow when there are huge loads of data around, but otherwise the speed might be okay.
Depending on your desired level of security you can afterwards additionally encrypt the zip container file. Of course that'll take some more time.

This is just my idea, there are probably many other ways to accomplish your goal.
Hmm yeah im looking for check a click and lock type method:)
bump
You could zip up the files and hide the zip in an alternate stream somewhere on the filesystem.
Doesn't windows allow you to lock files with a password? If not, you could always have your program encrypt the files and require a password to unencrypt them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement