• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MrRage

C++ Namespacing

This topic is 5458 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering if compilers (GCC or MSVC) would let you use multiple namespaces in a '.h' file. I think I tryed this before and it didn't work. Example: #include <gdk.h> using namespace gdk::gfx; using namespace gdk::engine; namespace gdk{ namespace engine{ class Object { public: Surface* surface; // gdk::gfx::Surface Particle particles; // gdk::engine::Particle ... }; } }

Advertisement
not sure, but I don't see why not... after the precompile, its compiles like it's all in one file anyway...

true.. I'm sure this works with MSVC (no compile errors) but I would have to try it out on a GCC compiler to see if it will accept it. MSVC will let me do things GCC won't.

I think MSVC is using some old standards, that's probably why, but the namespace thing should work on GCC.

Absolutely. That is valid C++ and there is no reason why any compiler worth its salt should complain about it.

At compilation time, there is really no difference between .h and .cpp files. All those include statements in a .cpp file simply cause the header file code to get pasted into the file when compiling, so it's all the same thing to the compiler. The only reason header files even exist is so that you don't have to manually redeclare everything in each .cpp file you write.

By the way, I've used namespaces like your example in both Visual C++ .NET and 2003 without any problems. It should probably work with Visual Studio 6 as well.

another question, can you simply do...
namespace gdk::engine
{

}

vs.

namespace gdk{
namespace engine{
}
}

I don't believe that last bit will work (using namespace gdk::engine). I'd say that engine and gdk have seperate namespace scopes at some point in time, and that, as such, the compiler won't assume that they're always connected.

What I'm trying to say is, even if you design one to always come after the other, the compiler treats them as seperate namespaces. Then again, if you declare a namespace within a namespace, then I guess the new namespace is only a part of the original namespace.

So, in summary, I don't know, you should test it yourself.

Quote:
Original post by MrRage
another question, can you simply do...
namespace gdk::engine
{

}

vs.

namespace gdk{
namespace engine{
}
}

No, that does not work in C++. That's not part of the specifications, and all compilers sticking to the C++ standard wont alow namspaces like that.

If you were programming in C# on the other hand, then it works just fine.

could you alias the namespace?
not sure if this would work (dont have a compiler handy)

namespace gdkEngineAlias = gdk::engine;

namespace gdkEngineAlias {
// my code...
};

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!