how to get started coding for xbox / playstation?

Started by
5 comments, last by Arkainium 19 years, 6 months ago
hi: I'm trying to get my feet wet developing for xbox and/or playstation. nothing too serious, just want to get started. is there an SDK? is there a programmer's guide? can anyone recommend resources for a newb? i have extensive programming experience with a variety of languages--but my c/c++ is pretty darn rusty.
Advertisement
There are ways to modify existing consoles to run software you make. To get the SDK you need to be a licensed developer for that particular console. If you don't care all that much about what system you're working with and just want to make stuff on a console, the Dreamcast I believe is one of the easiest ones to modify from what i've read. Have a look in the Console, PDA, and Cell Phone forum and dig around, there's some good stuff that may help get you started in there.
Also check www.xbox-scene.com - amongst many other nifty things they have some info on how to create homebrew xbox games (though you need a modded xbox to run anything). The legality of this is a bit of a grey area - obviously using a hacked bios or a downloaded XDK (the official xbox devkit software) is illegal, but there are a few legal bioses and the OpenXDK (as mentioned in one of the current news items on the Gamedev frontpage) which do seem to be legal.
Get yourself a PS2 and PS2 Linux - it gives you access to most of the machine, like the proper dev libs, it just restricts access to the I/O controller and sound controller.
Quote:Original post by The Bag
Get yourself a PS2 and PS2 Linux - it gives you access to most of the machine, like the proper dev libs, it just restricts access to the I/O controller and sound controller.
And it's nothing like an actual console environment, which defeats the point of learning to program one of these things. Unless the sheer satisfaction of running a binary on a PS2 makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. PS2 Linux is misdirection.
Don't try XBox and PS2 programming first. If you want to sneak a peek into console development, start with the GBA. you will learn to program the hardware directly, there are tons of tutorials and free indie devkits. And the little beauty is complex and powerful enough to get a feel for embedded development.
You can start with emulators and later test your creations on real hardware without any legal issues.

Moving from PC+DirectX to XBox is not that much of a change, so creating a DirectX-based (not only D3D, but also DInput, DSound and DShow) game should prepare you for Xbox development. The PS2 is another story. I cannot give you any advise on that as I'm not a licensed PS2 developer.

However, I'd start with GBA developing, esp. if your programming skills need some refreshing.

Between the XBox and PS2, you can only legally develop for the PS2. And when I say that, I'm referring to home brew development, not commercial. I won't write too much about it because I may not be 100% correct, but any information you need can be found at PS2DEV.

Offhand, I also know that you can develop for the Dreamcast, but you'd probably have to check Ebay for one, and there's also the GameBoy Advance, although not a full-blown console. Check GBADEV for some info on the GameBoy Advance.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement