• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
muhkuh

atan2 in vs 1.1

This topic is 5459 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, in my vertex shader 1.1 written in HLSL I used atan2 for a per vertex horizon map texture coordinate calculation. I calculate a per vertex coordinate system resulting in three vectors S,T,R. The Lights position is L. Then I do a (1/2PI)*atan2(dot(T,L), dot(S,L)) for getting the r texture coordinate (the direction) between -0.5 and 0.5. This works quite well except for the case when dot(S,L) or dot(T,L) are zero (not at the same time) what leads to a wrong texture coordinate. Is atan2 really fully continous? Have you any idea what else goes wrong? Thank you. Markus [Edited by - muhkuh on October 14, 2004 4:16:19 AM]

Advertisement
When you have a dot product = 0, then you've got orthogonal vectors.

If the range of atan2 is (-pi/2, pi/2) rather than [-pi/2, pi/2], as I suspect it is, then it won't work. And it would make sense, since tangent isn't actually defined at 90 degrees.

From the DirectX SDK doc:

atan2 - HLSL

Syntax

ret atan2(x, y)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Returns the arctangent of x/y. The signs of x and y are used to determine the quadrant of the return values in the range [-pi, pi]. atan2 is well-defined for every point other than the origin, even if y equals 0 and x does not equal 0.

I think my problem is another. atan2 works as it should. It's the interpolation of texture coordinates that isn't working properly.

I've got a texture coordinate between 0 and 1 that corresponds to a direction (azimuth) in a horizon map. The problem are triangles with one vertex at 0.001 and another at 0.999 or something. What I want is a value between 0.999 and 1.001 or -0.001 and 0.001 as the texture adressing mode is set to repeat. What I get is something between 0.001 and 0.999 of course.

Is there any way to tell the hardware to interpolate like that?

[Edited by - muhkuh on October 12, 2004 5:36:20 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!