• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RealAmerican

[java] A tutorial to make a 2d rpg with Java. (Please read)

This topic is 5398 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Let me start by saying all advice and any help is deeply appreciated. Here's a little background of my current programming knowledge. I took Q Basic in high school, taken visual basic and did pretty good in that and have messed with html and css which I'm pretty decent with. Recently the past 2 months or so I've been messing around with Java. I am very much a beginner and have made small programs but nothing really big. I'm getting the hang of it and know the basics of it. With that being said, I am a very hands on learner, meaning I learn the most through trial and error and messing with it, as opposed to just reading a book. This is why I want to make a 2d rpg, slowly but surely. I figure if I can find a tutorial on what to do, what steps to follow, how to outline it and get going, I can build on that through trial and error and learn a ton of information. I have searched all over the internet, I've found tutorials for very small games, but no tutorials for a 2d rpg. Do any of you know of one or are working on one and can open the code to me? Or any advice you may have? All help is appreciated, thank you.

Advertisement
RPGs are a lot of work, with many varied aspects. What particular aspect are you looking for help with?

Graphical? Story? Implementation?

Have you already anything done that you'd like to show us? Even some ideas you'd like to share? There are many forums here on GameDev that will be of great benefit to the different aspects, I suggest you explore them all and post the relevant questions in the relevant ones.

What I need help with basically is implementation.

I basically don't know where to start.

As for what I've done already, I'd say my most advanced one was making a ball bounce around the screen.

I realize rpgs have a ton of content, which is why starting out I would like to make a basic screen with a char, and then expand on that as I learn more through building it.

As for the other forums, obviously I'd like to program this game in Java since I'm trying to learn this language at the moment.

All of the other 2d rpg tutorials I've seen are c++ oriented, I'm looking for a java one.

If I can find a simple tutorial, it would in essence give me some training wheels until I get comfortable enough to let loose of them.

I own 2 Java Programming books, and none of them say anything about making an rpg.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!