which type?

Started by
19 comments, last by dan1088352 19 years, 6 months ago
it has to be free, space is not an issue, it has to be able to run along side XP and it should be good for c++ programming. any sejustions?
Advertisement
As to witch type of linux to run.

Id suggest Debian or Ubunto (will be relased very soon.)
Armand -------------------------It is a good day to code.
thanx
I was under the impression ubuntu WAS released. maybe it was jsut a preview...
Will be released very soon ;]
You can download it in it's current state but the offical release isn't for a week or so, so there's still time to order some free cd's before it's done.
I dunno if they planning on continueing to ship those cds out for free after the first proper release or not, but if I were you I'd go order soem now (even if you're never gonna use em - heck they're free. free delivery also)
It's got a lot of the usual curd you get @ the top of most linux distros' peeled off.
It's back to basics with simplisity & usefullness. Well that's the impression I've gotton from it so far. I have been running it, but I don't plan on starting any proper use of it until after me cds arrive (heh), but I'm hopin in will be a long relationship.

Ahh damnit I'm tired & I responded to a thread didn't I? That means I rambled. Erm don't take me too literally :S (Yes I am quite often like this)

Edit:http://ubuntulinux.org
_______________________________ ________ _____ ___ __ _`By offloading cognitive load to the computer, programmers are able to design more elegant systems' - Unununium OS regarding Python
so if I instal it on my hard drive I can choose at startup which one I want, sory if I sound dumb, I am no good with linux.
thats right! you need a separate partition for linux, and most distributions recognize the existing windows installation and create a boot menu for you.
does debian do that
Any distribution can be installed on a dual boot system. In fact, pretty much any operating system can be, though with some it is more difficult: Windows will overwrite the boot sector and undo whatever you have done with boot loaders, loading only itself (though fortunately this is easy to fix), and older MS operating systems (Windows 9x and earlier) refused to work unless they were on the first partition of the first hard drive (which can, however, be circumvented).

In short, yes, Debian can certainly do that. So can Gentoo, Fedora, Mandrake, Suse, Red Hat, Slackware, Vector, and any one of a hundred other distributions. Assuming that your distribution comes with either an intuitive installer or comprehensive installation guide, it should be easy.
where do I download it, I want to http://www.debian.org/ and that didnt do me anything, it gave me a million things to download. is there a link with 1 download for debian? btw. I am using windows xp busness edition

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement