• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
frankskye

Where to start??

This topic is 5454 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have an idea and some written concepts. My problem is that I have no idea where to start in terms of putting together a demo package. Do I find a stranger to develop the program? Do I pay someone to do some of the graphics? Do I try an learn to do this stuff myself? Should I put together a team? what kind of money will they want? Once I have a demo, then what? I understand it’s hard to get in there with established companies. Who has advice?

Advertisement
I don't know, most people don't want to join a team of someone who hasn't had a successful project before, so you may just want to develop it yourself. Nobody really wants to form a team over just some written concepts and an idea, usually a full design document is needed (or an already complete demo). This is why freelance game designers don't do too well unless they have experience.

edit: However I did see a thread in Help Wanted asking for a designer/writer thingy, so I stand corrected.

i think that intially you really have to prove yourself with some works done by yourself. For example a simple RPG game using some downloaded sprites. I myself am new to this industry, and I'm planning to start working on a simple game. I'll try to do my own sprites then try to make a simple demo. Maybe, this can help you.

You'll probably want to make at least some small projects by yourself, or join some small teams, in order to get some experience and start building a portfolio. Modding existing games can sometimes be a good way to achieve this, as it can take out a lot of the work involved.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!