• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mille

Console API newbi question

This topic is 5396 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey All I have not true experience with console development, so I need a little general advice here. To make is short: In my team we are making a game using DirectX9 and HLSL shaders. However the engine is designed (by me) to be platform independent, that is each object which are rendered has its own draw implementation – hence its straight forward to port the game for another graphic API (well, at least I hope so :)) Now to my questions: 1) I know Xbox is based on DirectX8.1, but what about the Xbox 2 ?, is it so that the Xbox 2 will support shader versions > 1.3 ?. Can I rely on the fact that many of the features in DirectX 9 will be supported on the Xbox 2 ? 2) As to the PS2, what render API is used on the Sony Console ?, I have no clue how trianglestripes ever get on the TV screen from the playstation ? I apologize if my questions are already answered somewhere, but I just can’t get that damn search engine to work with me :) Thanks for any help

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Mille
1)
I know Xbox is based on DirectX8.1, but what about the Xbox 2 ?, is it so that the Xbox 2 will support shader versions > 1.3 ?. Can I rely on the fact that many of the features in DirectX 9 will be supported on the Xbox 2 ?
That information is probably confidential, still. I think there's a reasonable chance it *will* be based on whatever's current - SM3.0 at least, hopefully - but I wouldn't assume that to be the case.

Quote:

2)
As to the PS2, what render API is used on the Sony Console ?, I have no clue how trianglestripes ever get on the TV screen from the playstation ?
A proprietory Sony API. I'm told it has similarities to OpenGL.

Quote:
Original post by Mille

2)
As to the PS2, what render API is used on the Sony Console ?, I have no clue how trianglestripes ever get on the TV screen from the playstation ?

There is not really an API... you talk directly to the hardware.

The general work flow (very simplified) is to DMA the textures to video memory, then construct what is probably best described as a display list, and then kick the display list to the graphics hardware.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!