• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Woody FX

Can a MIDlet delete itself?

This topic is 5421 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quote:
Original post by kooktroop
Following on from what MindWipe said if you can delete the game that isnt going to stop them from sending it to anyone else or being able to upload it to their computer before you delete it. The security for what (i think) you're talking about is reliant on the phone there is nothing you can do about it.

What you're saying about API's makes no sense.

How exactly do you send a midlet to your computer? I heard a rumour it works from the N-Gage, other then that, Nokia phones do not allower midlets to be send off the phone.

Quote:
Original post by markr
A Midlet cannot delete itself.

It can however store something in the RecordStore to say that it should no longer operate, and check for that on load.

If this bit exists in the record store, isntead of running the game, you just display a message saying "This application will no longer run. You should delete it from your phone to save memory"

If you wanted to make a 30day timeout, you could just record the install date (i.e. when your midlet was run with no recordstore present) and check that on startup and refuse to run thereafter.

The user could easily defeat it by changing the system time / date (of course you could check for the date going backwards and lock them out if that happened).

Mark

Yeah, that's true and that is a good solution to the problem-

/MindWipe

Advertisement
It's quite easy on Series 60 phones to grab the JAR files. On my 3650 (the one with the round dial) the JAR file is located in the folder:
C:\system\midp\<vendor>\untrusted\<app name>\<some digits>
which I can send to an IR or BlueTooth receiver. You'll need a file explorer to view the files on your phone, but those are easy to get hold of (or, you could write your own).

With Java's ease of reverse engineering, it seems pointless to incorporate code to check for unauthorised use. The only real method is to have a digital signiture that the OS/JVM checks - something MIDP1 or 2 doesn't specify.

The upshot of all this is to make games people want to pay for and accept some lost revenue through unauthorised copies - which means make great games.

Skizz

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!