• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ade-the-heat

OpenGL what do rendering libraries actually do..

This topic is 5391 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I see loads of adds for these rendering libraries based on opengl- but 1. what do they add/or do and what you can you do with them that you can't do with plain old opengl and a modelling package ? 2. In addition - by the time you've learnt how to use them surely you could've done it all in opengl or a modelling toolkitanyway. 3. How do they differ from an engine ? cheers Adrian

Advertisement
The OpenGL library is composed of elementary functions to do elementary tasks (select a texture, draw a triangle strip, setup a light, etc...). The aim of a library is to increase one programmer productivity by simplifying repetitive tasks.
e.g: you need to setup a 3D scene with lighting and display objects. A basic library will provide you a simple interface to allow you to setup your scene with a minimum number of function calls. When you develop a lot of 3D applications, you do not want to do the same repetitive tasks and you do not necessarily have time to develop a library simplifying all those repetitive tasks (especially in the industry). This is why you use a Graphic library.

Of course using a library does take time to learn and master. Some functions necessitate to have an understanding of the underlying rendering solution. Before using a library at its full potential, you need to have a basic understanding of the OpenGL rendering system. If you are not a beginner and work in the industry, you have to code to provide quickly a working demo. Thus if you aim to work in the industry, you will need to learn the basics of OpenGL, then learn to use a library to increase your own productivity.

Instead of simply using a rendering library, you could use an engine to increase your own productivity. The definition of an engine is not set in stone. I propose my own interpretation which may differ from somebody else. To my mind engine functionnalities are broader than simply providing a simple interface to rendering 3D scenes: the functionnalities also encompass resource management, user I/O, memory management, sound rendering. The engine is a set of common functionnalities geared towards a certain type of game like FPS or RTS. The rendering library is but a part of the engine.

I hope I answered all your questions.
Ghostly yours,
Red.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!