• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ViTAS

Of 3D engines and creating MMOG's

This topic is 5393 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings gamedev people! I'm not actually a game developer in the sense that I know programming. I'm actually just an honest businessman and I'm exploring the world of game development and the possibility of investing in it. Starting of with MMOG's since it sounds more stable than console games (because of piracy and all). At first I was thinking of creating a team to develop a 3D engine for an MMOG design but then it seems more time saving and cost-effective to just buy an existing 3D engine and hire programmers to develop the game. Someone told me once that 3D GameStudio is good although I'd like to hear from other people. Any comments/reviews for 3D GameStudio? Would anyone happen to recommend another existing 3D engine for creating an MMOG/MMORPG? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
DUDE yur MMOG is going to be Ub3r l337!

The Networking and Multiplayer forum FAQ contains a bit of information on this.

That being said, the 3D part of the MMOG is the easiest part. The networking, data management, customer service, and content creation for a large virtual world are much bigger challenges.

Anyway, as an example, Mythic Entertainment used Gamebryo (then called NetImmerse) for their graphics.

I don't want to discourage you, but I do suggest that you do some research into recent MMO projects that have been cancelled. For example, Ultima X, Warhammer Online, and Microsoft's Mythica have all been cancelled. The problem with the genre is that people have to pay monthly to play an MMO, which means they're only going to be interested in the really big name games. That means you're competing with names like Warcraft Online, Matrix Online, Everquest, and Middle Earth Online to name a few. I think the biggest problem is the time commitment these games require from the players. No one wants to spend 10 hours a day playing a smaller game when they can play a big one like Everquest.
With that said, I honestly wish you the best of luck.

Oh dear.

I don't particularly want to discourage you (or keep the off-topic thing going), but it sounds like you need to do a lot more research before you go diving into this.

Quote:
Starting of with MMOG's since it sounds more stable than console games (because of piracy and all).

That quote stuck out like a sore thumb. Just because it sounds more stable, dosn't mean that it is. Really piracy has very little to do with the "stability" of a game. Seeing as you're a business man, I suggest you look very carefully at the numbers. Especially (as already mentioned) how much one of these games costs, and how many player's you're likely to get (especially seeing you don't have a big name behind you).

A MMOG/MMORPG is inherently (much) riskier than a console game. Please be aware of this before you go hiring people and licencing engines. It sounds like you're assuming that it's the other way around.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!