Torque Engine...

Started by
11 comments, last by Neil Kerkin 19 years, 5 months ago
I'm really leaning toward purchasing the Torque Engine license from GarageGames... I was curious about other users' experiances with it. It looks solid, and sounds solid, and everything I have read thusfar has been for it, but I am still cautious about purchasing it, despite the low cost. The main reason is publishing restrictions, but the Torque Engine license seems very cool about that. I know it would save me a great deal of time, but what are your thoughts on it? -Greven
Advertisement
--> Business of Game Development?

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

Eh? Business? Just asking for opinions on the software, not certain how that would apply to the Business forum, since it is for my own personal use.

-Greven
You're looking to license it. That would be a business deal. Anyway, just because I suggest that it would be more appropriate in BoGD, doesn't mean that the mods will actually move it. I could be wrong (it's happened before).

Quote:Original post by coldacid
--> Business of Game Development?
No, --> Alternative Game Libraries (which I still maintain should be called 'third party game technology').

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Ah, I stand corrected. Thank you my good sir!

Personally, I've never used Torque, however, here's the review of the review from Gamedeveloper magazine September 2004, 8 ~ 9

Pros:
1) Responsive on the community forum and deal with support directly.
2) Battle Tested, fully cross platform, AAA game engine with all the bells and whistles
3. Full C++ source code to the engine

CONS
1. Lack of an easy starting point
2. Documentation somewhat limited
3. Size and scope of the engine can be overwhelming.

Here's some extra niggles I groked from the article.
1. Documentation is excellent but unorganized.(which is 1 & 2 from CONS)
2. While a rewrite is underway, there is some legacy FPS assumptions in the code. Expecially in the Camera class & player input.
3. Little AI code, but a 3rd party AI package is in development
4. Physics are baisc, with basic collisions, gravity and friction. Vehicles are well developed.

Overall:
If you can live without the mothering the other middleware providers offer, TGE really does measure up in almost every area.

Greven, feel free to contact any of us at GarageGames about questions we are happy to help.

I agree it can be a daunting engine for beginning programmers but that is because it is a complete engine. Just back from GarageGames's 3-day IndieGames Conference (http://www.indiegamescon.com) and saw numerous kick ass games independent developers are making with the Torque.

PS We have over 1000 pages of documentation last I checked and we have a full time guy writing more. ;) Also have Ken Kinney's book '3D Game Programming All In One' which is an excellent book on modern game development, using the Torque Game Engine. It's also Premier Press' number one selling game development book! (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/159200136X/garagegamescom).

--Rick {GG}
I have purchased the Torque Game Engine (as opposed to the Torque Shader Engine) and I find it very much geared towards FPS and to do any other game type its takes quite a bit of work. However I recommend you download the demo, (you probably already have) load up one of the games (fps or racer) and hit f10 or f11 which will allow you to try out the Screen and World modification systems. Pretty impressive stuff, plus you can build you own resources(models, scripts, etc) and plug them straight into the demo games (or your own new game). Pretty much the only thing yo don't get with the demo is the source code and all the documentation.

Its rather large however and I don't have the experience to start modifying it and adding features that I need just yet, but for $100 you really can't go wrong.
Quote:Original post by Evil_Greven
I'm really leaning toward purchasing the Torque Engine license from GarageGames... I was curious about other users' experiances with it.

It looks solid, and sounds solid, and everything I have read thusfar has been for it, but I am still cautious about purchasing it, despite the low cost. The main reason is publishing restrictions, but the Torque Engine license seems very cool about that.

I know it would save me a great deal of time, but what are your thoughts on it?

-Greven

Believe me, if you buy the torque game engine, you wont regret it. Im really only ten years old and I can use this game engine without a problem. It has the coolest vehicle physics support, particle effects, and terrain rendering than in any game engine ive seen before. buy it!!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement