• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RedRabbit

What is AI to you?

This topic is 5456 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just reading a post on AI and nobody can seem to agree. So state your opinions! (This could get bloody so please dont offer your piece of mind without having the proper defenses ie: m16 and a banana!)

Advertisement
Heh in my post the only thing that was clear was the clearlessness of the meaning of ai. I would say the way it is intended to be used is anything that is programmed to do something because of something else. So truely in my other opinion.
x = 2
if(x >= 5){
}
else{
}
It makes a decision the same way any other program does. It makes a decision based on what you tell it to do.

Quote:
Original post by RedRabbit
shouldnt AI react without direct instructions?

But of course, and it can....Neural nets, learned behavior, blah blah. But you have to implement the code to allow it to learn first.

Without going for the most advanced examples from resources on the net....look at this simple implementation where the A.I. knows squat about the game. But then in the end, it teaches it self and never loses.

Although the author is correct that its "Brute force" A.I., the system still learned didnt it? or did the programmer tell it what to do?

http://perlmonks.thepen.com/51644.html

There are really 2 types of AI. Weak AI and Strong AI. I just learned that there were two types today from a friend who is a CS/Cybernetics major. We got into a philosophical so to say debate over how to design Strong AI which has never been done yet. It was rather fun I am a CS major and he CS/Cybernetics had very different veiws and by the end we came to a hypothisis of a new database system that can possibly be used for strong Ai.

here are some definitions.

Weak AI. This is what we see in games today. They react to certain events that are triggered in the game. It seems like they are making decision but it is really very hard coded. The AI will constantly make the same mistakes in the same situation when presented twice.

Strong AI. This has never been successfuly developed yet. Strong AI learns and truely has a mind of its own. You will never get the same results if it is in a game. The AI has emotions and will learn from mistakes that it has made. Basically it is a fully electronic reasoning human. It can mentally develop to new situations and then act appon them. however, this does not nessicarily have to be in a game it could also be robotic and such. Our current technology is quite limited to develop this as our databases are not sophisticated enough and the people attempting to are not in the proper mindset just yet. it will come someday tho.

when i think of ai i think of either hard coded ai or true ai. where hard coded is just a bunch of exceptions that makes the opponent somewhat look like its 'intelligent'. then true ai, ie, computer learns from your own moves, or learns from the rules of the game, but it is never TOLD what to do, only told what it CAN do.

I also believe that 'true' AI is not necessarily a black and white definition. Rather, it is only a measure of how little the programmer incorperated the desired end result into the programming of the agent.

Don't make the mistake of confusing Game AI with Real AI (TM). Game AI is essentially that part of your game code the creates the illusion of intelligence for the player. It might be a bot that seemingly always knows the best way to deal with the players attacks, or an RTS 'advisor' that is very helpful. It doesn't matter how it is implemented... brute force, random number generation, super-intelligent algorithm, etc. It only has to satisfy the 'illusion constraint' to be classified as Game AI.

Real AI on the other hand is something more specific (and is sub-classified into strong and weak AI) in that it seeks to implement actual intelligent behaviour. Weak AI doesn't really care what the underlying substrate methodology is to the AI, so long as the behaviour is intelligent (of course, evaluating what is and is not intelligent is an argument that has raged for decades, if not centuries). Strong AI attempts to understand and recreate human intelligence and the algorithmic mechanisms that generate it.

Timkin

this looks like lounge stuff...
i already posted in that other thread... for me ai is everything that interacts with stuff that happens... not a scripted action but something when something happens and it choses from several options (maybe random, maybe out of a list of successful tactics).
this was in the other thread
Quote:
Original post by Woodsman