Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ahigh

My 3d starfield OpenGL demo (TRY IT!)

ahigh    122
Hi. This is my first Windows program that I''ve ever written in my life. However, I''ve been programming games for more than 15 years. Please try it, and give me some feedback. http://64.34.182.157/~aaron/downloads.htm Thanks in advance, and don''t be afraid to tell me if it sucks! But only after you _try_ it.. -- - Aaron

ahigh    122
I just added a texture map to use as the stars.

It makes it look much nicer.

I also modified lesson25.cpp into two files:

nehe_tga.h
nege_tga.c

These two files are modular so that you can plug in texture
file loading and texture binding into your own app without
having to butcher lesson25.cpp yourself.

Thanks to NeHe for such fun stuff to play with!

I''ll try to turn it into a game ASAP if anybody''s interested. Or even if nobody is; why not, huh?

--
- Aaron

zedzeek    528
u might wanna have a look at doing the stars with the point parameters extension much cheaper then u can stick in hunderds of the bastards without getting a slowdown

ahigh    122
Oh yeah. This is setup for people with slow machines.

It''s currently set to 512 stars.

If you modify gfx.cpp, I have set it to 5120 stars and it holds up pretty well on my new Nvidia Card (the fastest 32MB) with only a 300Mhz processor.

I could make some control to monitor the framerate and adjust the number of stars to be the maximum your system can handle at 60Hz. But it sucks when it runs slower than the vertical refresh.

--
- Aaron

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
I noticed a lot of people have downloaded my demo. I now have a glut32.dll you can download to your windows\system directory in case you just want to run the game and you don''t have glut already.

Thanks everybody for trying this out and giving me feedback.

--
- Aaron