New proud owner of Tricks of W. G. Programming Gurus. I have a question!

Started by
11 comments, last by DontBeAfraid 19 years, 6 months ago
I have DirectX 9.0b SDK on my computer. He talks about 8.0 SDK, so will 9.0b be comatible with what he speaks of? If not, what can I do to make it work? I tried putting in dsound, dsound3d, and dmusic and they didn't link when compiling so I had to take them out. That's a small example of why I was wondering about this question. Please let me know. thanks.
Advertisement
Yes. Or at least thats what I was told when I used it last year.(diff versions) If you code in an earlier version it works but if u have dx8 and try 9 it wont.
Favorite Quotes:Gandalf: You cannot pass!|Smeagol: We don't need you!|Sloth: Hey you guys!|
hmm so you're saying Direct x9.0b wont run 8.0 SDK, but 8.0 can run 7.0? If so, should I uninstall direct x9.0b and install 8.0, although using 9.0b runtime?
DirectX is always backwards compatiable. All you need to do is put a define at the top to tell it what version of dx you are using. It's a fairly simple little edit.

#ifndef DIRECT3D_VERSION
#define DIRECT3D_VERSION 0x0800
#endif //DIRECT3D_VERSION

That should do what you want.

~Wave

Okay, I put that on the top of my source code. I put the library files back in the linker, and I get...

Linking...
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "dmusic.lib"

Same for dsound.lib and dsound3d.lib

Should these be included in the linker or no?
Andre' replied to me suggesting the following... Should I take his advice? Can I install 8.0 SDK with 9.0b SDK installed already?

The difference between 8 and 9 are minimal, you just need to look now to
start up DirectX, but other than that its about 5 mins work to convert
each demo more or less. For now, I would just copy 8.0 SDK on the HD as
well and just use it, its ok of you have 9.0B runtime since directX will
always work with newer interfaces.

Just remember to reset your search paths, etc. to the DirectX 8 stuff,
then when you have all your demo done then you can convert them --

Andre'
Quote:Original post by philvaira
Can I install 8.0 SDK with 9.0b SDK installed already?
Yes.

Quote:Should I take his advice?
That's a much more complex question. I'm inclined to say yes, as that will simplify following his text (since that is what you're using).
Okay, I installed the Dx8.0 SDK, and most libraries worked this time, but d3dim.lib wasn't found? Help?
Google?

(At some point you'll have to start employing initiative to at least try to solve your own problems.)
Then no one would be here? * hint hint "beginners" *

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement