• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
nicksterdomus

good idea to buy visual c++ .net 2003 if i want to work with directx?

This topic is 5452 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
i like it a lot but i didnt try many different ides/compilers :/
i got it for free from my university... you cant beat that cost/performance ratio :P

VS.NET 2k3 is one of the best IDEs/compilers, if not the best, around regarding standards compliance and workflow. The directx libraries you can obtain directly from microsoft are always built especially for their compilers (what else would you expect ;)).

I think VS.NET 2k3 ist the best choice if you want to use directx and also any other library you can find on the net.

-Markus-

I've been told to avoid VC.net 2K3

This is a copy of an email someone sent over a C++ mailing list:

I think the .NET version of VS (at least) is very unfriendly to Win32
development in straight C, from what I've seen. EVERYTHING is geared
to C++ / MFC / .NET / Windows forms / XML / ATL / etc. instead of
Win32/C. The documentation, while huge, is difficult to use in that
it always defaults to everything except Win32 and due to the size
it's always a task to find any given bit of information. There's no
contextual link from the IDE to Win32 or C / standard library
documentation, etc., etc. Even the editor is somewhat weak by text
editor standards, but that's expected (IMO) from Microsoft.

I'm not interested in network programs (or really, even network
awareness), .NET, OOP, MFC, XML, ASP or any of that other stuff -
Just Win32 in straight C. It's not exactly geared to that kind of
development.

Plus, it's *H*U*G*E* and slow.

Quote:
Plus, it's *H*U*G*E* and slow

I used to use VC6, and now that I use VC7 its no slower than VC6 was.

As far as the text editor capabilities go, I really do like Microsoft's intellisense, and if anyone knows of a better editor, I'd like to know. Also, as opposed to VC6, VC7 is much more ANSI-compliant. Profiling is very useful in determining bottlenecks in your code, and as already mentioned, if you'll be using DirectX the shader debugging is nice as well.

I use VS.NET 2003 for C++/DirectX and I’m pretty happy with it. It is quirky at times but functions pretty well. (Though currently I can’t ‘add class’ as it hangs, previous was ‘new project’ hung; I expect that is mostly how I keep most everything off on my system, at a guess anyway.)

I think it is probably worth while in that the documentation is pretty good, DirectX docs are nicely integrated for instance. There is copious documentation but I’ve never had that much problem finding what I was looking for, with exceptions of course.

All in all I’m happy with my purchase.

P.s. The editor is weak but that is basically traditional with ANY IDE, certainly not exclusive to Microsoft.

If you can't live with loading the DirectX object creation functions from the DLL manually, using LoadLibrary and the fact that 99.9% of the DirectX code at net is written for MSVC, then go and buy it.

If that's not a big problem for you (the manual loading of DLL will be done only once and you need only a single function per DirectX component - f.e. CreateDirectDraw or something like that for DD, CreateDirect3D or something like that for D3D, etc) then i suggest looking over MinGW (GCC for Windows) and Dev-C++: http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/. That's what i use and i preffer it for Windows development.

I've only done Dev-C++ with limited SDL usage so far. Thinking about Visual C++ with DirectX but not sure whether to switch yet. Trying to find some really good documentation first.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!