• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
shadow12345

convex vs manifold

This topic is 5396 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

A triangle is convex, but when I think convex, I think of a 3D object that is enclosed but also has a non zero volume, such as a circular cylinder. Is my definition for convex really manifold, or is manifold something different?

Advertisement
Convex is defined in any number of dimensions >= 2. A set of points (such as the set of points within a triangle) is convex if no two points within the set form a line segment which passes outside the set.

Quote:
Original post by shadow12345Is my definition for convex really manifold, or is manifold something different?

Convex is, as Sneftel pointed out, a set of points such that any segment whose ends are in the set is completely contained in the set. The number of dimensions doesn't need to be >=2, though; a segment is a perfectly good convex set.

A manifold is an object that looks like R^n locally everywhere. For instance, a sphere looks locally like R^2 (if you only look a little bit around you, the Earth looks flat, like a plane). You can get a more precise definition by googling.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!