• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

debug version DLL not found, but release version is, why?

This topic is 5394 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all: I have a program need assistance of some dlls, and I just found if I compile the dll into debug version, the program just can't find it, no matter the program itself is compiled into debug or release version. But if I compile the dll into release version, both debug and release program can find it with no problem. Any idea on what causes this? (note that both debug and release configuration compile the dll into the same directory, with same file name, of course)

Advertisement
From what I remember, a debug build of a DLL requires the use of other, special debugging DLLs. Your program is probably finding the DLL you made, but not the other debug DLLs associated with it. I'm not entirely sure this is your problem, but I had a very similar problem, esspecially when running my applications on different computers.

Thanks, but how to identify those associated dlls? And I'm very interested in how you solved your problem.

yeah, you are damn right about it,odiousangel. I'm having the same problem as you described. Great thanks, I've solved it.

Sorry, I suppose I wasn't very helpful. Are your DLL and your application part of the same workspace (assuming you are using msvc++, or something related)? It might make a difference, when linking the application, if they are.

EDIT: oh, you solved it. how, exactly, did you resolve the problem, if at all?

Just as you described, the debug version dll needs another dll to work, and I forgot to put that dll in the directory.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!