and do i have a chance?

Started by
3 comments, last by Queasy 19 years, 6 months ago
elo beautiful people..well it's just that I'm keeping on updating myself concerning new game development technologies. I'll be graduating by next year and I'm thinking about starting as a junior game programmer. The fact is that I don't have any experience(I haven't worked on any projects) and I'm really keen to do it. Another problem is that where I live (Mauritius Island, Indian Ocean) there is no big gaming industry. I know I can do it and I do have to start somewhere like everyone did. I don't own a game console, but I do play a lot of SNES games on emulator. So if u could give me some advice, and maybe some comfort:) Thanx.
Advertisement
Everyone has a chance. It's gonna be hard work though - if you put in the effort you may very well be able to reach your goal.

Learn everything you can. Books, and online tutorials are both excellent resources for this. Check out the GDnet For Beginners section.

Get some experience, even if this is just working on some small projects by yourself, or even modding existing games. You'll appear better to prospective employers if you have something to show - a portfolio of existing projects (even small ones or mods) can fullfill this need.

Actually finish things. Plenty of people start hundreds of hobby game projects in order to build a portfolio, but never end up finishing any of them. Stick with things, and have something to show for your efforts - you'll learn more by going through the full process as well. Put in the extra touches like a menu and highscores on the Tetris clone you make as a learning project. [wink]

I'm not sure where the island you mention is, but it sounds like you may have to move to get the type of position you're after. You may wish to build up a small portfolio and learn some useful things BEFORE moving though.

Good luck. [smile]

Oh, and don't forget to check out the Forum FAQ, and the forum specific FAQs for any GDnet forums you're interested in (link is small text on the upper left of each particular forum index - many people don't notice this for a while).

- Jason Astle-Adams

thanx a lot for your suppport mate....it really encourages me to learn more!!
As a hint though.. playing video games does not make you a good game developer. It's where we all start but it is the urg to make the games better that makes us game developers.
Common mistake is that you evaluate from gamer to game developer on the motion that it is the same thing. I figure you have the math and cs compartment with you then it just to throw yourself out in the would and get a hold off some demo/project work that will get you some experience. I suggest to start in small scale so you get a fill of it first. Of course depending on your skill and previous practice. If you are a writer you should have already written a page or two.
Good luck!
mikbra @ Chalmers Unniversity of TechnologyGothenburg, SwedenInformation Technology - department of Computer ScienceMaster of Science
Hi.

Don't leave it to chance. The biggest thing you'll have to learn is to just stop wondering whether you'll make it and just start doing what you can. Peresonally, I've found that "wonder" is a huge source of procrasination.

If you want to work in a big company, then you will have to learn a specific skill. Start by asking yourself which part of game development you really enjoy. Is it physics? Graphics? Sound Engines? Aritificial Intelligence? Etc.

Once you know what you like to do, write *small* demos showcasing the fact that you know your area of expertise very well. An easy way to do this is to implement various algorithms around the internet. For instance, if you like physics/engine coding, implementing a loose-octree will show that you know what you're doing.

And never stop playing video games, or you'll lose sight of why you got into the business in the first place :)

I hope this helps.

-j
Jonathan Makqueasy gamesgate 88[email=jon.mak@utoronto.ca]email[/email]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement