• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
INVERSED

Bump mapping options

This topic is 5454 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was curious about what options are available for doing bump mapping. Most that I've seen require a normal map to do. Is there anyway to do bumpmapping without normal maps, or a way to fake normal maps without having to do a high and low poly version of your model?

Advertisement

I've seen it with a bump-map bitmap. It is quite like a heightmap: a bitmap where raised pixels are white and lower pixels are black.

It is possible to extract normals from such a bitmap.

Hope it helps,

Okay, I just found an app from ati that can create normal maps from heightmaps (YEAH), and I found an article there on the different types of bump mapping. I'm still not sure exactly what the difference between Dot3 bump mapping and environment mapped bump maps are. I'm wondering, from anyone who has tried this, doesn't genereating environment maps get kinda slow. I know that they're really useful for lots of stuff like reflection and refraction, but doesn't rendering 6 extra passes of your scene get slow? If not, what res are you rendering your envrionment maps at. While I'm on it, is there an easy way to render an environment map ( I'm think one easy call renders all 6 faces ), or do you just have to manually flip the camera around?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!