ADOM

Started by
6 comments, last by runemaster 23 years, 6 months ago
I''m sure many of you know the rogue-like game ADOM by Thomas Biskup. In my opinion (and lots of ppl agree with me on this - there are very many fan pages) it''s one of the best RPGs there are.It is very addictive and quite deep.So I wonder what is it that makes this game so much better than other rogue-likes and even many commercial games. Well, certainly not graphics. I think it''s the great character creation system, the incredibly many items, and the sense of adventure.The sense of exploration, something missing in most rpgs today. What do you think ? Runemaster now working on Acronia : Secrets of Magic Join the Game Developers RuneRing ! The Specular Lightosis Research Fund " "'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree"-Nazrix
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
Advertisement
I am such a big fan of ADOM. I have played a few other roguelikes. (not too many.) Actually, ADOM''s graphics do stand out quite a bit, but aside from that, it seems to be a more balanced game. I don''t know, it was my first roguelike, so it is sort-of ingrained. Whenever I play any others I expect ADOM. I think you''re right: it''s the sense of adventure and exploration. That and just great overall game balance. Nearly every time I lose, I can say it is my fault, a bad decision I made and not bad luck. Players like to be in control, and really, they should be.

I couldn''t help this --
" "''Nazrix is cool'' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree"-Nazrix --Runemaster
Several billion trillion tons of superhot exploding hydrogen nuclei rose slowly above the horizon and managed to look small, cold and slightly damp.-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
for one, roguelikes are NOT roleplaying games. They are hack and slash. Now the reason ADOM is so popular (but maybe not as much as the hardcore hak and slash like Angband and Nethack), is probably due to the fact that Thomas Biskup is trying hard to push the genre out of the box, by having lots of quests for one, unique characters, unique levels (not random generated), a character creation and stat system that is taken from RPG (skills, starsigns, various races and classes).
Also the "graphics" do stand out mainly because of the use of color, wchich is usually optional in other roguelikes. In here the grass is a nice ", the water is ~, there is an underwater cave, a fire tower, well ... basically Thomas is using the variety allowed by the limited medium to its fullest extent rather than counting on randomness to generate it. He's very effectively balancing the Crafted vs Generated parts of his game to make something really unique, and yet highly replayable.

Ok,now stop reading and go play it

youpla :-P

Edited by - ahw on October 7, 2000 8:54:06 AM
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
i''ve never played ADOM. what''s it like? they don''t describe it very well on the site, i thought (maybe i was looking in the wrog places, tho).

off-topic for runemaster: what''s with your and nazrix''s footer? are you both really weird people? heheheh..... j/k its great, guys. anyhoo, at the site for acronia, i noticed on the frame to the left the images are surrounded by borders. if you want you can get rid of the borders really easily by putting border=0 in the img tags.
sorry, that last post was mine.
the problem is that Roguelike games, jsut like the Matrix, can''t be explained, you''d have to experience it for yourself
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
quote:Original post by Forneiq

I couldn''t help this --
" "''Nazrix is cool'' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree"-Nazrix --Runemaster

Drat! You beat me to it

"" "'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree"-Nazrix" -- runemaster
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
I have a copy of rogue, the original and namesake of all other roguelikes.

shut up
CAN I GET A WOO WOO!

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement