• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
gaurav khanduja

2D texture

This topic is 5396 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all i am right now rendering points(136 * 136* 136) in a cubic grid. I am calculating the color according to the data value (which I am reading from file) at each of these points. But the rendering is too slow because of the number of points. I was thinking of creating 136 2d texture out of it. Firstly I wanted to know is it possible, and if yes how should I go about it. Thanks Gaurav

Advertisement
Need a bit more info before we can help you. What platform? Windows? What library? DirectX? OpenGL? Are you using C++?

You can definitely make a cube and texture it, using DX or openGL, if that's what you're asking.

Give us some more details, and I'm sure you'll find a solution.

Ryan

I am using VC++ 6 and OpenGL 1.1 and glut library. Well I have rendered the images as 2D texture, so machine is not the concern,

I wanted to know, suppose now you have 136* 136 * 136 (this is a cubic grid but it can be any structure -- all i know the locattion (x,y,z) and the value at that point) grid points and you calculate the color of that point based on the data value at that point. If i render these points the operations like translation, rotation, clipping are too slow .... so I wanted to know how can I render these as textures (like 136 2D textures in this case).

Are you taling about render-to-texture and having it transparent everywhere except for where the points are?
That could work, but it depends on whether you change your viewing angle to view from the side.
You couldn't render to texture every frame or it would be slower not faster.
Sorry I haven't used the API you mention so I can't help there.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!