• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
moorphene

Begining J2ME Developer

This topic is 5451 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am somewhat new to Java but I have a strong C++ background. I have an interest in developing for mobile devices. From what I've gathered so far, this means that I need to know J2ME or Brew. From the research I've done I decided to go the way of J2ME. Currently I am reading "J2ME GameProgramming" by Martin Wells. Anyone have any idea of how long it will take to be somewhat efficient in developing for this platform? Also if anyone can give some pros/cons of J2ME vs. Brew. Thanks alot in advance!

Advertisement
J2ME really will be easier from a Java background than a C++ one.

That said, it is probably still a much saner choice for people who do not have several thousand dollars in startup operating capital. (I'm also told that Brew is an ugly not-quite-C++-or-C-either-for-that-matter hack of a development platform, but I don't know enough about it to comment with any authority.)

Well, I enjoy writing BREW more than J2ME. J2ME is actually an ugly, not-quite-Java environment itself. One example: the Java way of doing things is to create lots of new classes for everything. Anywhere in C++ that you would use a struct, you make a new class in Java. But the problem is, every time you make a new J2ME class, your midlet inexplicably increases by about 500 bytes in size, even if the class is totally empty. A lot of phones have a max midlet size of 60k, so it means you *can't* make new classes left and right, so you have to find alternatives.

Anyway, that's just a rant. For an indie developer, I think you are pretty much forced to go J2ME. I don't remember exactly what it takes to become a BREW "registered developer", but I believe it's pretty hard. And you need to be a registered dev to get a phone flashed, and the phone needs to be flashed to deploy the app to it.

But in the world of J2ME, there are lots of ways to get the midlet onto the phone (over the air, cables, infrared, etc), and they are all cheap and available for indies.

Quote:
Original post by pinacolada
Well, I enjoy writing BREW more than J2ME. J2ME is actually an ugly, not-quite-Java environment itself. One example: the Java way of doing things is to create lots of new classes for everything. Anywhere in C++ that you would use a struct, you make a new class in Java. But the problem is, every time you make a new J2ME class, your midlet inexplicably increases by about 500 bytes in size, even if the class is totally empty. A lot of phones have a max midlet size of 60k, so it means you *can't* make new classes left and right, so you have to find alternatives.

The hell, it's the same price as you have to pay in desktop Java... it's just that you can't afford it to the same extent on the phone. Optimization is separate from the language, and the Java language is the same everywhere - and the library's "model" for UI doesn't change more than it really needs to either.

With BREW I'm told that things like memory allocation become different from what they would normally be? o_O

I'd start with J2ME as you've decided to do. Its free to get into unlike BREW where if you actually want to test on devices you're looking at some big fees for a hobby developer.

Personally i came to j2me having never written a single line of Java code in my life. I was proficient in C++. The first j2me project i ever wrote is now on sale around the world and getting some good ratings from reviews!

Best of luck!

KookTroop, You think we can get a link to some of the screenchoots or a website about your game. Interested to see what you did. It sounds like your background in somewhat similar to mines regarding your programming experience.

Can anyone comment on Martin Wells' book, "J2ME Game Programming" ?

Quote:
Can anyone comment on Martin Wells' book, "J2ME Game Programming" ?
It's a good book. It covers J2ME from a game perspective instead of a PDA perspective, which is somewhat useful if you aren't really experienced at picking up new APIs and platforms easily. It also covers 3rd party libraries, which makes it ever so slightly dated but also very useful for the phones which it does cover.

Overall, however, as a reference I'm more likely to pick up the Knudsen book. The writing style is clear, and the organization and material are first-rate. I'd recommend both.

moorphene, look at j2me first, its quite easy really but I would recommend you also start looking at JSR-184 when you are competent in your java abilities because there are going to be (hopefully) lots of phones around with this extension in soon and it's going to allow for some fantastic games.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!