• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kag1

Loading Images

This topic is 5453 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well I've recently read that using glaux.lib is not the desired way to do it anymore.. I'm wondering what most people use to load their images? Do people write their own library for such a thing? And if so where is there documentation on how to do so? Or is there another auxilary library out there that is now the dominent one to use to load images?

Advertisement
I wrote my own image loading functions like many others have done.
I got the file specifications from www.wotsit.org, and then I made a bitmap and a targa loader.
24 or 32 bit bitmaps or targa's without RLE are pretty straight foreward. I certainly don't understand why people uses libraries for bitmap or targa loading since it only takes a couple of hours to make one yourself...

because it takes less to do it with a library? ;) I'm certain there's a lot to be gained in knowledge by doing things yourself, but if you're inexperienced having libraries help you out a lot on doing stuff you don't necessarily understand yet. Not like you can't come back later with more knowledge and do it yourself if your need requires it.

Dood!!! Ignore every ones post here and save yourself allot of time! Use sdl (www.libsdl.org), it not only rocks for setting up your Window for OpenGL, but it rocks in the line of input (Keyboard, Mouse, Joystick), it rocks in it's multi-threading capabilities, with it's RWOPS functions you can load an almost endless list of image formats, AND to top it all off it's OSI!
If that doesn't convince you, than you need to go get a checkup at the doctors. =P

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!