• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lukeskywalker1

Setting up Direct X for Borland 5.5

This topic is 5394 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey! Im new to C++, Ive only been at it a week now, but I want to get everything I need for Direct X. Ive downloaded Borland 5.5 (The compiler) and I use Crimson Edit to type the code (simular to Notepad, except it colors certain commands and indents for me) I can do some easy C++ coding with just that. I think I need to make Direct X applications though, if I want nice looking graphics programs. (I want to make a side scrolling game soon) I know I need to learn this stuff, and it could take a while, but, I can't do anything without Borland compatible Direct X files. Ive downloaded the ones from http://clootie.narod.ru/cbuilder/index.html These are the two files I downloaded: CBuilder_DX92_libs.zip Clootie_DX92_dlls.zip They contain 2 DLLs and a bunch of LIB files. So now what? I don't have a clue where to put them. I know they are no good sitting in the zip file. They have no readme, or instructions (that I can see) to explain what to do with them. If I need other files let me know, I'm a complete noob at this.

Advertisement
Good luck! I'm in the same position as you, only I'm using VC++ and it's a huge pain to get DX programs to compile and link! Sorry I can't really help you, I'm a noob too and I feel your pain.

:) I know someone has to know! Ive found tutorials on how to convert the files.. and stuff, but why can't they just simply say what directory they need to be in?! It must be something simple...

I mean, they give you the files to download, but, they don't tell you where they go.

dlls either go in c:\windows\system32 or the same folder as your program (I would recommend the latter until you are sure they work and won't overwrite other DLLs

*.h goes in the compiler's include directory
*.lib goes in the compiler's lib directory

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!