• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sagar_Indurkhya

Why is the internet so darn complicated?

This topic is 5393 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok. I am making this program that will do research for me. It uses google, looks at the source of webpages, and tries to extract bits of text from around the main word. But I run into all this scripting and php and stuff! I mean, what happened to the good old days when everything was just simple html? ... Does anyone know how to get the results of these scripts the way browsers do? I mean, just look at the source of this forum! I can't extract any info, because everything is scripted!

Advertisement
Just skip over the non-html stuff.

An excerpt:
Quote:
<tr>
<td class="forumcell" colspan="2">Ok. I am making this program that will do research for me. It uses google, looks at the source of webpages, and tries to extract bits of text from around the main word. But I run into all this scripting and php and stuff! I mean, what happened to the good old days when everything was just simple html?

... Does anyone know how to get the results of these scripts the way browsers do? I mean, just look at the source of this forum! I can't extract any info, because everything is scripted!

<x x=""></x><x x=""></x></td>
</tr>

And there is all the info you need. Just search for the word and everything else in the post or whatever will be right around it.

Whoops! I guess when I checked the source of the code, I didn't see the post. But on a lot of sites, you do have to have script, crap.

I am working on it. We will see how it goes. I already did what you said, but I find that on some vital sites, they use that stuff.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!