• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
gooky

A geometry viewer

This topic is 5457 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need to make a viewer - a simplified version of the viewpoint media viewer. To start with I restricted the object count in the scene to 1. My goal was to be able to spin around the object, zoom and pan. I would like to not backfacecull any faces, and it would be nice if I could antialias the edges (edges between object and empty space) I started out using directX to show the object. It worked fine with very little code as long as I showed with backfaceculling. When I turned on that, it started to go extremely slow. The reason was ofcause the amount of faces in the object - around 100000. Now to my question... What can I do about this... I need to somehow QUICKLY filter away triangles that can not be seen anyway. There must be some algorithms for that...

Advertisement
backface culling does that...culls away triangles that point away from the camera...kind of ideal for what you want, isn't it?

If, for whatever reason, you cannot backface cull, I recommend using some sort of spatial partitioning (an octree for this case, perhaps?) and then do occlusion culling against the octtree. Google is your friend here.

Occlusion culling is not a trivial task to do in the general case. Hardware extensions may help you. (google for occlusion_query)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!