Assembly Language. Is it still worth it to learn?

Started by
16 comments, last by DefaultUser 23 years, 6 months ago
Well Now,

I know Binary, Octal & Hex and some ASM, but only the basics. Looks like I might benefit form learning more.

STVOY

Mega Moh Mine!!

Pyre Light Studios (Under Construction)

Advertisement
Yeah, I agree about how much knowledge you will gain when learning Assembly. I''ve been reading alot about the 80x86 Asm since the post, and I have to say that it really helps a lot. Learning Assembly when you''re a programmer will not only you a good chance of improving your code but it will help sharpen your mind about how the 80x86 handle the codes and how the VNA works.

Thanks for all the replies.

-DefaultUser
Forget about that buggy code, let's start all-over - from scratch. Let's go!
Even if it wasn''t worthwhile learning (which of course it is ) then I would suggest learning for the sheer gloat value. If you know how to program in Assembly then you can rub it in the face of those programmers who pose around thinking that they are better than you because they can make Tetris in BASIC. Ask them to debug your Assembly Pacman code and they shuttup really quick

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

I don''t thinks it''s useful!
My language of choiche is QBasic!
Kneelz <-- How so?
Forget about that buggy code, let's start all-over - from scratch. Let's go!
IMHO the best reason to learn assembly is not so that you can make your code faster but so that you can debug it better.

There is a constant stream of questions to this board and why somebodies code is doing such and such and if they just looked at the assembly output they could see exactly what the problem is and use that knowledge to go back and see that yes, thier code is lame, or (very occasionally) confirm that it is indeed a compiler bug, etc.

Plus, if you ever need to debug in the field you''re going to run into some very primitive debuggers. It is a very useful skill to be able to figure out what is going on with nothing but a stack trace and an assembly dump.

-Mike

Learning asm certainly helps with optimization using MMX/3DNow/SIMD/etc. I wouldn''t write an entire app with it though! If you look at commercial software source (ie; Quake, Descent) there really is only a tiny percentage of the code written in asm.
5% of a programs code gets called 95% of time, that 5% percent needs to be the fast stuff

I think Kneelz was being sarcastic, and you can call asm routines from qbasic too. peek, poke, peek, poke, peek, poke,...
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement