Assembly Language. Is it still worth it to learn?

Started by
16 comments, last by DefaultUser 23 years, 6 months ago
Hi! I just want to ask if learning assembly language is still worth it. -Thanks
Forget about that buggy code, let's start all-over - from scratch. Let's go!
Advertisement
Hello,

Of course it is still usefull, you may think that with the current speed of proccesors that it will soon be redundant, but you have to remeber that compilers are still relativly stupid when it comes to creating efficient code.

Also if you have the basic understanding of x86 ASM then you will pretty much be able to program any other chip that is out there (i.e pic, moterrola etc) with out too much fuss even though the mnumonics are different the basic ideas are normally the same.

Hope this helps, and please ignore my spelling. cheers.

Paul Kinlan

p.s Joke Alert ..

Question:How do you get two pikachu on to a Bus?
Ans: Pokemon

sorry it had to be done
--As Cunning as a fox that has just been appointed professor of cunning at oxford university
Yes.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
I''d say it''s very useful if you have the time to learn it to the point where you can outperform your compiler. Other than that, a cursory knowledge of Assembly may prove handy, but probably not to the point where I would suggest it to anyone. If you''re curious about how things work at a lower level, look into it. I have a VERY basic knowledge of Assembly, and I find it to be interesting.

I understand a little bit about the theories of branch prediction, pipelines, etc... but I don''t sound intelligent when trying to explain them to others. =)

Yes it is

a lot if i may say...

i do the whole of my RTS game in ASM....

Today is more easy to programm in asm, check Iczelions win32asm sites to get more info...

its almost as easy as C/C++...only u have to know better...and do more things with "bare hands"...but the api''s are the same..
and u get a lot of speed....

Bogdan
obysoft
Knowing the basics of the assembly language on your platform is very helpful. Not primarily so you can code in it - cause in today''s market usually no more than 1 out of 10-15 programmers (and i mean GAME programmers) actually use it regularly. BUT, since assembly IS the processor instruction set (at least the human readable version) then knowing it will allow you to understand the listing files generated by your compiler better (hence better debugging ability), and also, it will allow you to understand the performance costs of various solutions MUCH better. You will also be able to make sense of the ASM timing reference information (that tells how many clock cycles each instruction takes) in order to better understand issues related to efficient data organization, prefetching, etc. Well ... there you go ... good luck.
I don''t think I''ve written a C++ program yet, where at some point I haven''t decided to use some embedded asm becuase it was easier or way faster.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
some things really are MUCH easier to do in asm, though there are people who will never admit it
i thoroughly enjoy writing in asm. Even though it can take longer it often comes out looking nicer

-arsenius
'after three days without programming, life becomes meaningless' -The Tao of Programming
It´s worth it and asm isn´t that hard.. Think about all the good stuff like 3dnow for example.

My teacher at school said: "Using assembly is like shooting your self in the foot" well if you can´t aim you can´t =)
Why stop at asm? learn machine code while you''re at it! (I do believe 86 is 68HC11 machine code for LDAA )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement