• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SeCtoR

New to Game Design

This topic is 5391 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys. i am new to game design. I have never made a game before and lately I have been wanting to attempt to make one. I have two games in mind. A street racing game, and a story I have made up using some greek gods and a few new ones. It seems pretty good, and people in my classes seem to like the idea. I am wanting to go for a 2d Diablo II like game. What I want to ask you guys is what do you think would be some good programs to use for someone new to the game design business. I have already got a little INC. name ready, and my dad will help me with the legal copyright, trademark and legal stuff. I just need some general help on how I would go about making character models and a detailed enviroment. I have made a few sketches of some of the characters on art paper and jotting down ideas for the plot and all of the D2 style game. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advanced, SeCtoR

Advertisement
Not really, but I am really interested on learning. Which language(s) would I need to learn?

Thanks,
SeCtoR

k sorry im posting here but i dont think that last post fully awnsered his question...for the person that made this post to me its all about what u want to do if u want to make a fast fps or something then c/c++ would be the language to learn...or u could lean python and such there are many languages out there c/c++ and java used the most (c/c++ for game developing) but they are hard to learn...so research them and ask opinions and ur well on ur way.

Ok, here's another ...

If you are really serious, then you need to learn programming. Pick any language, it doesn't matter at this point, and you'll probably end up learning many. Please remember that games like Diablo are made by teams of 30+ professionnal, and development typically exceed a year.

Start small. Learn programming, then try yourself at Tetris or Pacman for now.

Of course, you can always decide that programming isn't for you, and that you are less the "math" and more the "artsy" type. Then you could be producing art for the game. That also means you'll also have to convince a few programmer that your idea is good. Which is often very hard. Good Luck, but your hopes of producing a Diablo 2 look-alike in less than a decade are pretty much non-existant.

Of course, if you really aren't in a hurry, by all mean learn programming/modeling/wathever. It is a great fun by itself.

Just don't boggle your mind with business stuff just yet. You aren't ready.

if you plan to do the programming yourself, then youre going to need at least a year to learn a language, and then probably another year to learn about graphics and engines.

to make models, you need a 3D modeling program, such as milkshape 3D.

to make a game like diablo2, youll need a team of programmer and artists, and a lot of money to blow.

Thanks guys.

I am not wanting to start of big yet. I just want to you know, get like a demo of it up and stuff, and upgrade from that first level or so.

So I would need to look into Java, and C/C++?

I appreciate the help.
I have someone else that's going to help me, and I have someone that could help me do the artwork for the game. He's really talented and it drew to me. (lol drew) Anyways, I AM going to start off small. I really would like to get into it. So I am going to go try to study those languages. What would be a good program to use to make a 2d game like Diablo, or what would be a good prog to make a good racing game?

Thanks.
-SeCtoR

Guest Anonymous Poster
Well, I still don't think you got what these guys are trying to tell you. Two people do not make a game team, or three or four. You have ALOT to take in before you can start to make a game, in any language. Take it from me, I am one year into the Digital Entertainment and Game Design bachelors degree at ITT Tech and there are so many aspects to game design you have no idea. Like they said, you need to learn a programming language, I suggest C++ or C#. Java is good too because it's very cross-platform but C++ is more universal. Second, as stated, you need 3D software like Milshape 3D or 3DS MAx (which is around $4000 retail). You will also need image software like Photoshop or Corel Draw. Teams do this kind of work, and they take years. Learn a language first and maybe toss out a text game. When you get a language down, come talk to everyone a year from now.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!