• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
baraka

Problem with Tetris clone compiling

This topic is 5453 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

elo. Well, I tried compiling the tetris clone given in the forum but I am getting the following errors : <code> LIBCD.lib(crt0.obj) : error LNK2001 unresolved external symbol-main Debug/tet.exe : fatal error LNK1120 : 1 unresolved externals Error executing link.exe </code> What the hell is all this?? I guess to be a good programmer, we do have to understand every single line of error-statements, aint'it?

Advertisement
You should always look up MSVC errors in MSDN. It includes full descriptions of the errors as well as possible causes.

In your case, make sure your project type is "Win32 Console Application".

For the tetris game, do I have to specify the Win32 Console application as a "Simple Hello World application"?

Quote:
I guess to be a good programmer, we do have to understand every single line of error-statements

That is correct. And much more than that.

Quote:
Original post by baraka
For the tetris game, do I have to specify the Win32 Console application as a "Simple Hello World application"?
No. The "Simple Hello World application" project type is a console project, but with lots of added junk - everything necessary for a console-mode "Hello, World" application with default settings. You could use that; you'd just have to rip out all the unnecessary code.

You should be able to change your existing project's type by going into the Project->Settings... menu.

Quote:
Original post by hplus0603
Quote:
I guess to be a good programmer, we do have to understand every single line of error-statements

That is correct. And much more than that.

Same here, and this might take a bit of time to learn [grin]

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
You should always look up MSVC errors in MSDN. It includes full descriptions of the errors as well as possible causes.

In your case, make sure your project type is "Win32 Console Application".

I think that's what he has... but, it should be "Win32 Application" and NOT "Win32 Console Application" to compile correctly.

For the original poster, "Win32 Console Application" runs under the MSDOS-style prompt, but you don't want that. Instead, you want the "Win32 Application."

Easiest way for you is probably to just create a new project, and make sure you use the "Win32 Application" project. Then, when it asks you what you want to put in it, create an "empty project" and go to Project->Add Files and put the ones from your project in there again.

-Greven

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!