• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
hellsnow

Does C# suit for game programming?

This topic is 5393 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Yes, it's fine. The programming language is hardly ever a limitation to basic game programming. By the time it does become a consideration, you'll know enough to make the decision yourself.

The suitability can't really be decided in such maner that you say conclusive that C# is good for this and that. Yes you can do games in C# but still I would use C++ for cutting edge development. But if we are talking the next poker simulator C# would be the obvious choice of the two. For me C# is to be considered as a high end Java version for Windows which focus on rapid development and take some loss of low level manipulation. C++ will take more time and consume less performence on the low end operations.
C++ also compiles into runnable machine code which I without taking closer look have heard that C# doesn't.

But choice of language should not be made by statements of latest buzz..

If you want to know if it's fast enough, then the answer is yes. I compared the performance of the OGRE engine to the Axiom engine (a C# port of OGRE), and the performance was nearly identical. The C# engine was slower in some cases, faster in others. If you use C# correctly, you'll have a fast and EASY TO USE game engine.

Development time with C# is really fast so it's good for hobby dev especially.

Quote:
Original post by MikaelBrandin
The suitability can't really be decided in such maner that you say conclusive that C# is good for this and that. Yes you can do games in C# but still I would use C++ for cutting edge development. But if we are talking the next poker simulator C# would be the obvious choice of the two. For me C# is to be considered as a high end Java version for Windows which focus on rapid development and take some loss of low level manipulation. C++ will take more time and consume less performence on the low end operations.
C++ also compiles into runnable machine code which I without taking closer look have heard that C# doesn't.

But choice of language should not be made by statements of latest buzz..

I hope you realize that you can still do some low end stuff with C#. For instance if you feel like managing your own memory you can use pointers if you wish. Many people just glance over that feature then they give faulty discriptions of the language.

Some weeks back I attended a seminar concerning Visual Studio .NET and what I've understood is that we can develop mobile games easier using .NET technology since the kit already provides functions for it....did I get it right?

The whole idé of .NET is the portability between plattforms.
And to boebi could you perhaps give performence curve of data for this because it's valuble information. It is 0.1 % or 1 % or 10 %. My point is that to choose a language before the project is like buying clothes with no regard to size.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!