can I create my own 2D game or did anyone of you do it?

Started by
9 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 6 months ago
Elo....I have got lots of ideas concerning a 2D game. So, can I get someone to work on the sprites and try to make a demo for my idea? Did anyone of you ever try it?
Advertisement
you can do (nearly) everything... you only need to know how...
if you pay then you'll get your sprites... go to the help wanted forum and ask there :) or get some free sprites from somewhere in teh intarweb.
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson
the problem is that I haven't yet got a sample code of how to animate sprites for a simple arcade game like Cool Spot. I mean, how to change the sprites when animating and how to use memory for that.
dx or ogl?
if i remember correctly then you only load a big picture and
then you set the offset where it should begin drawing
 ___________________________|   |   |   |   |   |   |   ||o/<|o\<|O|<|...|...|...|...||___|___|___|___|___|___|___|  1   2   3   4   5   6   7

normally you just draw first pic 1 then you draw beginning at the border between 1 and 2. then 2/3, 3/4
this way you have always only one picture but you simply dont show all of it.
sorry, my english is too bad to explain something like that
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson
There's a sticky on this forum with collections of sprites. As for the rest, just learn how to program an API(SDL,DirectX,OpenGL) .
the question is - do you know any programming languages? Everyone has crazy ideas of next top-selling game, but if you don't have any programming or maybe artist skills - you should learn that first & only then start thinking of creating a game. This is www.gamedev.net not www.fulfilmyidea.net. ;) no offence!
google says: they claim to have source code for 2d sprite animation
i think there are many more tutorials out there but i have to eat now... it gets cold :(
<quote>
the question is - do you know any programming languages? Everyone has crazy ideas of next top-selling game, but if you don't have any programming or maybe artist skills - you should learn that first & only then start thinking of creating a game. This is www.gamedev.net not www.fulfilmyidea.net. ;) no offence!
</quote>

Yes gazz, I do program in C++ and OpenGL. But the problem is that I'm new to game development and would like to know more about sprite animation. This is a beginner forum anyway, isnt it?

No problem, I appreciate you're frank.
Quote:
dx or ogl?
if i remember correctly then you only load a big picture and
then you set the offset where it should begin drawing
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

normally you just draw first pic 1 then you draw beginning at the border between 1 and 2. then 2/3, 3/4
this way you have always only one picture but you simply dont show all of it.
sorry, my english is too bad to explain something like that

Yes Bigfoot, but what kind of data structure do i use?
Well, I'd say the basics to sprite animation are much like they are done in an animated cartoon. Basically you have a set of images (like maybe a walk animation would have 5 images), and after so much time has passed, use the next image. To keep track of time, you could just use some function like timeGetTime().

Your animation sequences could be kept in an array, so after maybe 200ms have passed, you'll want to use the next image. Do you understand that? Really, I think if you can imagine how animation is done in a cartoon, it is nearly the same in 2D computer games.

[EDIT: Saw the Question about the data structure -- I would just store images seperated in an array of images, and then use a parallel array of animation indicies so you know what image you want to draw for your animation. Do you understand?]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement