[.net] Another weird one (C#)

Started by
12 comments, last by Sijmen 19 years, 6 months ago
I have a problem with line breaks in my bitmap font class :( This time I debugged and I debugged and I debugged again. Bit really, it seems like this isn't my fault at all. Look at this:

public Size DrawText(string text, Surface dest, Point destPoint, int maxWidth, int maxHeight)
{
	int curLine      = 0;
	int curLineWidth = 0;

int largestWidth = 0;
	foreach(char c in text)
	{
		int num   = getLetterNum(c);
		int width = letterWidths[num];

if(c=='\n' || maxWidth>0 && curLineWidth+width>maxWidth)
		{
			if(curLineWidth>largestWidth)
				largestWidth = curLineWidth;

curLine++;
			curLineWidth = 0;

// PROBLEM THIS LINE
			if(maxHeight>0 && (curLine+1)*blockSize>maxHeight) 
				break;

if(c=='\n')
				continue;
		}

if(dest!=null)
			surface.Blit(new Rectangle(num%16*blockSize, num/16*blockSize, width, blockSize), dest,
				new Point(destPoint.X+curLineWidth, destPoint.Y+curLine*blockSize));
		curLineWidth += width;
	}

return new Size(largestWidth, curLine*blockSize);
}

The error is at this part:

if(maxHeight>0 && (curLine+1)*blockSize>maxHeight) 
	break;
Clarification of variables: - maxHeight = the maximum height of the text - when it's lower than 0, there is no limit. - curLine = the current line, starting at 0 - blockSize = the size of a letter block (ie 16x16) This statement is executed when a newline has occured, either by reaching the end of a line or when finding a newline character. What I want this statement to do, is: "if there is a limit on the height of the text, check if the next line would break it - if so, break out of the foreach loop". But it doesn't work, somehow, execution always continues over the if statement, as if it wasn't there. I double checked the condition, and it looks fine. Then, I started the debugger, and let it ran to the place where the newline occures where it passes the height boundary. The breakpoint reached (the if stament), I checked all the variables included in the condition, and found out that it indeed was true. I also pasted the condition in that little window in VS.NET (forgot the name), and it returned true. But when I stepped the execution one step, it simply went to the next statement. What did I do wrong?
Advertisement
try it with

return new size(-1,-1);

public Size DrawText(string text, Surface dest, Point destPoint, int maxWidth, int maxHeight){	int curLine      = 0;	int curLineWidth = 0;	int largestWidth = 0;	foreach(char c in text)	{		int num   = getLetterNum(c);		int width = letterWidths[num];		if(c=='\n' || maxWidth>0 && curLineWidth+width>maxWidth)		{			if(curLineWidth>largestWidth)				largestWidth = curLineWidth;			curLine++;			curLineWidth = 0;			// PROBLEM THIS LINE			if(maxHeight>0 && (curLine+1)*blockSize>maxHeight) 				return new Size(-1,-1); // check for this as an error or even throw an exception                                //break; // may only be breaking out of the if statements you added			if(c=='\n')				continue;		}		if(dest!=null)			surface.Blit(new Rectangle(num%16*blockSize, num/16*blockSize, width, blockSize), dest,				new Point(destPoint.X+curLineWidth, destPoint.Y+curLine*blockSize));		curLineWidth += width;	}	return new Size(largestWidth, curLine*blockSize);
I replaced the break statement with an exception throw, but it isn't thrown.

How can this be possible? The command window returns true on that statement!
What version of the C# compiler are you using? Do you have the .NET 2.0 beta framework installed?
VSEDebug Visual Studio.NET Add-In. Enhances debugging in ways never thought possible.
I am now using Visual Studio .NET 2003, but yes, the .NET Framework 2.0 beta is installed. Could that be a problem?
The other "wierd problem" thread involves another nonsensical problem, and I suspect the two problems may be related to the beta framework, because in my google searches I haven't found anything that is comparable.
VSEDebug Visual Studio.NET Add-In. Enhances debugging in ways never thought possible.
Having the 2.0 framework should not be the problem as the VS2003 enviroment compiles code using the 1.1 framework and not the 2.0
Mykre - BlogVirtual Realm :- XNA News and Resources from Down Under** For those Interested in an Australian XNA User Group Contact me though my site.
I don't know why, but it works now as it should. I ran it at school once and now it runs at home, too. :S
Sometimes all you need to do is restart the machine. If something is odd and can't be explained, always fall back on that olde ;-)

Happened to me the other day too actually - a database connection kept on throwing something about null parameter (when parameter was not null) - even stepped thru and proved to myself that it wasn't null before disappearing into OdbcConnection - restarted machine and it worked - and hasn't been a problem since.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Still weird though, because I have restarted my machine several times.

By the way, is it possible to reference a project without including it, with VS.NET 2003?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement