noob help!

Started by
9 comments, last by MikaelBrandin 19 years, 6 months ago
hey, im just starting getting in to the Game programing and i just need some help. I know a few tutorial i wanna try(like the tetris) but, i need a program like Visual c++ to write the code in. Can anyone tell me if i can find a trial or a different program like it thats free. I wanna try C++. And, i have 100% no expiriance. But, i still wanna make games. thanx! Ps- Im only 14 and i have lil money...
Advertisement
Woah slow down there young jedi, you need to learn at the bare minimum how program first before start to thinking about moving on to games even then i would suggest learning data structures & algorithms afterwood aswell before you move on, c++ is no trivial lanaguage you'll need a good book on c++ and a year or two to learn it properly, you might wont to check this out first.
After reading the already mentioned Beginner's section, here are some more links you may want to visit:

JCreator, an excellent IDE for Java.
MinGW Developer Studio (my personal favorite), an IDE for MinGW (the Win32 port of GCC). It's very similar to Visual C++, and it's free.

Also, if you decide to learn C/C++, I highly recommend The C Programming Language by Kernighan and Ritchie.

-RC
Quote:Original post by RabidCow
Also, if you decide to learn C/C++, I highly recommend The C Programming Language by Kernighan and Ritchie.

That books is the bible for C (and i love & recommend it) but i don't thinks its a good idea for someone who has no programming experience it doesn't target that group and it hasn't got anything to do with C++ besides,

The C++ programming language by Bjarne is simillar to K & R's book, its also a bible for C++ written by the creator, but again i don't recommend it as a beginners book how-ever i do recommend having both of these books later on.
As now twice mentioned, check out the Beginners Section. You may also like to check out the for beginners forum FAQ - there's a LOT of good information in that FAQ, as well as in the beginners section.

On a more general note: welcome to GDnet. Oh, and also you may want to check out the main forum FAQ sometime to find out cool stuff about using the forums. Good luck.

- Jason Astle-Adams

thanx guys! i guess i should try other then gaming now huh. lol. how long did it take to make your first game? Wut every it maybe.
go to your local bookstore and pickup game programming for teens
note: this book uses blitzbasic it should take you two or so weeks to finish it, if you want to use c++ then don't get the book ,it also comes with 30 day trial versions of many programs:).
-----------------------------------Panic and anxiety Disorder HQ
Quote:Original post by snk_kid
Woah slow down there young jedi, you need to learn at the bare minimum how program first before start to thinking about moving on to games even then i would suggest learning data structures & algorithms afterwood aswell before you move on, c++ is no trivial lanaguage you'll need a good book on c++ and a year or two to learn it properly, you might wont to check this out first.

wow, I hope 2 years is an exageration.
I've been reading for two weeks and I can overload operators right now (pretty cool stuff), if I have two more years to go just on C++ then well... C++ is HUGE!
I produced my first game (tic-tac-toe) only a week after I started programming - some people will learn very quickly, and be able to do things fairly soon, but others will take longer - and that's perfectly fine. You just have to do things at the speed that you're comfortable with, and remember that as long as you put in the effort, you'll get there eventually.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote:Original post by Si0n
Quote:Original post by snk_kid

wow, I hope 2 years is an exageration.
I've been reading for two weeks and I can overload operators right now (pretty cool stuff), if I have two more years to go just on C++ then well... C++ is HUGE!

I'm quite serious, don't expect to know every single intricate detail after a month this is includes learning how to use standard library aswell as the language itself aswell as learning to program!!, trust me you'll always find something new you didn't know before. I mean they have whole books just on part of the c++ standard library such as the I/O streams lib.

Its fine to start programming something before you know most of it but you'll end up re-inventing the wheel & writing crappy code that you'll end-up wishing you spent the time learning the language properly before.

You get some people who start writing something like a game when they only learnt some of the language and then come here posting for help on something quite simple, i've been there too & learn't my lesson.

So i think its worth spending the time to learn your language/languages well first, The C++ programming language special edition book by Bjarne Stroustrup will help alot here, its one of the most detailed accounts of the C++ language i've ever read.

[Edited by - snk_kid on October 15, 2004 3:50:10 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement