• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
The_Cyb0rdemon

In Game Field Of View

This topic is 5392 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
The field of view is normally of 90 degrees in games.
The only exception I can think of from the top of my head is AvP where the Aliens have a wider range, probably 120 degrees.
In any case, most games allow you to change that, but assume 90 degrees as default.

My bad, I didn't know about that. That's kind of weird, although it would make sense when you are, say, piloting a plane or something fast; to simulate the tunnel vision effect.

Heres an interesting link to get some dimesnions and FOV from Halo:

http://www.cortana.org/HEK_Tutorial/references/general/halo_player_stats.html

I think the games i mentioned did it because at 90 degrees theres some obvious distortion at the edges of the screen, due to how coordinates are projected. I think it's an entirely cosmetic decision by graphics worshippers. It's also annoyingly justified because in some cases it can increase framerate by a couple of fps.

I personally prefer 90 degree fov. I could tolerate 80 degrees, but 70 degrees feels too much like tunnel vision. Sometimes in bf1942 I cant tell whether i've zoomed in with a weapon with no scope or not.

I've also heard of people getting 'Quakevision' from higher fovs like 90 degrees - it's a temporary loss of depth perception from not having depth on screen, but I've never experienced it myself.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!