• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
_walrus

system.out on n-gage

This topic is 5449 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey is there anyway to get system.out on the n-gage to display somewhere? maybe thought he blue tooth or something??

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
The simple simple way is to just have a public viewable String object and make this the last line in your paint(Graphics g) method

g.setColor(0xFFFF00);
g.drawString(myString, 10, 10, 20);

Unfortunately, there's no good way to do this: The nokias don't have a good off-target diagnostic solution. We've implemented in-house solutions with HTTP requests, though, which seem to work pretty well. You'll have to replace all your System.out.println calls with your own utility function.

OT:
This intrigues me. Are there many people on this board developing weapons of mass nGagement? TBH, I completely forgot about it's capabilities as a legitimate development platform...but it intrigues me. The hardware's a bit too limited for me, but to see if any of the "gamedev gurus" are working on it would be interesting indeed.

My cell phone will so invade your cell phone.

Well, in terms of development, the n-Gage isn't especially different from other Nokia phones of similar development date, except that it looks like a taco (and the 3300 also looks like a taco). It supports an API that other Nokias do not; but it also supports J2ME. So if you're developing for something like the 3300 or the 3650, you get an n-Gage version more or less for free.

Not quite; the 3300 is still a Series 40 phone (with the 128x128 screen) even though it supports MMAPI and has the N-Gage QD's form factor.

The N-Gage original is actually pretty powerful as far as J2ME phones go, or that's my understanding anyway.

Quote:
Well, in terms of development, the n-Gage isn't especially different from other Nokia phones of similar development date, except that it looks like a taco (and the 3300 also looks like a taco). It supports an API that other Nokias do not; but it also supports J2ME. So if you're developing for something like the 3300 or the 3650, you get an n-Gage version more or less for free.

Lol ya i was looking at th 3600 but i but i'd thought i'd might get it confused with my vcr remote control :P The n-gage is the olny other series 60 availabe in canada (as far a i know). But this development is for any j2me midp 1.0 devices. To develop natively for the n-gage its like 10,000 for the sdk.

Quote:
Unfortunately, there's no good way to do this: The nokias don't have a good off-target diagnostic solution. We've implemented in-house solutions with HTTP requests, though, which seem to work pretty well. You'll have to replace all your System.out.println calls with your own utility function.

I though bout this as well, but i was thinking of rigthing a blue tooth one, but i dont think the n-gage supports the jsr-82. I think only the series 60(version 2) support jsr-82 (can anybody confirmt this?) cause i'd like to try and write a blue tooth logging mechinism if if it did.

anyways i thought i'd just like to thow in that i think the ngage qd is a pretty solid phone and for a good price for the cost too (cause the 3600 would have cost me like 300+ if i got a 1 year plan with a provider)

Quote:
Original post by Zahlman
Not quite; the 3300 is still a Series 40 phone (with the 128x128 screen) even though it supports MMAPI and has the N-Gage QD's form factor.

The N-Gage original is actually pretty powerful as far as J2ME phones go, or that's my understanding anyway.

i agree, but i think its scores as one of the lower series 60 phones (with respect to jbenchmark), still its good for the price :P

http://www.jbenchmark.com/index.html?B=Nokia&F=2

Well, back to the original topic. There is a Symbian tool for Sony Ericsson P800/P900 called redirect.sis (you can find it in the Sony developer site). What it does is redirect System.out and System.err from MIDlets into your choice of a console type output screen, or a file, or I think also beaming out somewhere might be supported. That's exactly what you are asking here. While the tool didn't work with the N-Gage when I tried it, I heard a rumor that it was ported to Series 60 (instead of Quartz which I think is the Symbian variant that the P800 has). I can't seem to find it but I'm almost sure it's out there somewhere. Maybe the creator of the original can be convinced to do a port if there isn't one ready...

shmoove

Quote:
Original post by Sneftel

What API does the N-Gage support that other S60 Nokias don't? As far I know the N-Gage is just another S60 nokia.

/MindWipe

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!