Designing text based RPGs

Started by
22 comments, last by MrSandman666 23 years, 6 months ago
To xtrmntr:
In the original post, I refered to fantasy as this medieval stuff with wizards and warriors and stuff.
And if you regard fantasy to be everything which is non-fiction then you're right. Almost every computer game is non-fictional.

Yeah, I guess it would be way to complicated to integrate a parser for NPC dialogs. Would be a cool feature, but it would probably take a lifetime to do that.

Oh, and my story is going to be non-linear. I wan't to stun the players, but I don't want to force them through a linear story line.

So what would be the alternatives? The only thing I could think of is a multiple choice like dialog system.

And, well, at the moment I'm using the Win32 console only. i can generate some graphics by using colored characters and letters but that wouldn't be good for anything but a rough map and a more comfortable user interface.
I originaly decided to go text based, because I'm a horrible artist. And besides this is a project for my AP Computer class which has to be finished by the end of the semester. It's mainly about programming (the class itself is all about C++).
So I decided to do something where I don't have to spend time, which I don't have, on graphics and sounds.
Why do you ask?

Still, any input is welcome and appreciated!

Edited by - MrSandman666 on October 13, 2000 8:20:13 AM
-----------------------------"Mr Sandman bring me a dream"
Advertisement
"Wired" had an article about this guy in Britain who was putting a chip in his arm that tapped into his nervous system and picked up on mood changes, etc. The chip had a wireless connection to the computer network in his lab. Anyway, the chip would read a different patterns coming down his arm and send the series of signals to the computers. He was then going to record how he felt, and get the computer to be able to categorize these different signals / feelings.

Later, his wife was to get one, and the computer network would ''trade'' signals between them to see if they could sort of telepathically pick up on each other''s feelings. Then, one of them was going to fly off to New York, and their ''feelings'' were going to be traded via the internet. This stuff hadn''t happened as of the writing of the article.

Ultimately, he envisions a chip that lets you tap into the internet by thinking about it, and letting the information stream right into your mind. In addition, you should be able to ''mindlink'' into a program and call it up to perform massive math calculations and pipe the solutions right into your brain.

One problem: hackers. There will be hackers tapping right into your brain and making you go crazy. They''ll be stealing content right out of your mind. Scary?

So you want to do a hacker game, eh? Think of the possibilities.

mr sandman,
haven''t u ever heard of major mud?
its a real time text based game.
it used to be pretty good.

Regards
Chib
Well, my hacking system looked somehow like that.
The player could implant a link into his scull (let's call it a cyberlink). He could plug a cable to this link and, using some sort of modem or mini computer where all the programms are stored on and which is used as some kind of firewall to keep hackers from grilling your brain, surf the "internet" only using his brainpower. Somehow like on a virtual reality trip.
This system is pretty much liek the Shadowrun/Gibson one. It's not innovative or new but I like it.

And, no I haven't heard of major mud. It's a mud, right? I haven't had any experiences with them and don't plan to programm one.

Oh, and as we're just talking: Do you think it would be possible to make a hack 'n' slay game like Diablo in a cyberpunk setting? How would you do the interface for that? It would be somehow hard to do, as you have hardly any close quarter fighting in cyberpunk and I can't come up with a good and fast UI for fire arms.
And keep in mind: I'm doing and ASCII game.

Would be really great if you could help me out.

Edited by - MrSandman666 on October 19, 2000 2:53:00 PM
-----------------------------"Mr Sandman bring me a dream"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement