• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AntiAntiCamper

Engines and Mods

This topic is 5457 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Please forgive the elementary nature of this question, but I have not been able to find an answer elsewhere. How does one get started modding one of the graphics engines, e.g. Source (HL2), Unreal, etc? I have searched high and low for documentation but no success. Do you need to buy a license first? The list of intended modifications for the yet unreleased Source engine powering Half-Life 2 is extensive. Have all these teams purchased licenses? I am especially interested in total conversion mods, not simply new skins, etc. So I would love a pointer to documentation describing the APIs for an engine. Many thanks!

Advertisement
For Half Life Mods, get the Half Life SDK, you dont need a license, but you do have to own the game, for Level creation you should get Hammer 3.5 previously known as WorldCraft, I think Hammer would also be useful for HL2 levels since also Radiant (ID's official Level creation Tool) has been in use ever since Quake and up to Doom 3.

If you got FarCry then go to CryMod.

Some companies are more MOD friendly than others so depending on what engine you want to build your MOD on, you may have to do different amounts of digging [smile]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!