OpenGL Development Complements

Started by
8 comments, last by rick_appleton 19 years, 6 months ago
this thread is not about getting or learning a language, a program correspondent to that programming language cuz im quite clear at that, i just wish to know what are the best programs to edit media for programing in opengl, i mean i need to know standard programs for texture, models, and other media editing, thx
Advertisement
the gimp is an excellent program for creating and editing images and textures.
- stormrunner
can this program support directx 9 dds file format??
no

but you would usually convert to that after the fact using a program like ati's "the compressionator"
for producing the images you want to work in the highest detail, which means a lossless compression system such as PNG or TGA (at least, i think TGA is lossless) or just uncompressed as bitmap (which has no alpha support), after that you'll want to compress it as the AP above says
mmm... and dds have something superior in comparation with those lossless compresion formats ?? what are features in dds format?? can they be used in opengl??
well, dds uses a lossy format, which means it can get better compression but the image doesnt have all the infomation, think of it as jpeg for graphics cards.
The level of compression decides how lossy it is, certain image types are better suited to different compression schemes.
iirc dds textures can be used with the ARB compressed texture extension to upload already compressed textures to the graphics card (Nvidia has some source code for this iirc).
so...the best posible format for texturing will be tga, i have seen lots of them fot tecturing use in q3a , but ut2003 uses dds as part of their formats mostly in their bigger textures (1024*1024). Can OpenGL support dds format ?? i mean this cuz i can be a case that you will have to use it ..no one really knows if some engine developed requires big textures or some quality as well..
btw:and what about 3d studio max?
Quote:Can OpenGL support dds format ??

Your program can support the dds format the same way programs support jpeg, bmp, tga, etc. All you need to do is write a loader for the format and upload the image data to the graphics card.
Quote:
Your program can support the dds format the same way programs support jpeg, bmp, tga, etc. All you need to do is write a loader for the format and upload the image data to the graphics card.

This isn't quite correct. With the other formats (jpg, bmp, tga, png, etc) you unpack the data from the file into an array which is not compressed. You then upload this data to the graphics card. The DDS format is actually a collection of possible 'formats'. You can have DDS files with alpha, without, various possible compression amounts, and I think even data which is not in RGBA8 format (so it doesn't use 8 bits for each channel, but some other distribution). In addition, the DDS format can also already contain mipmaps. You just upload the entire thing to the videocard with some extension, and it stays in the videocards memory in a compressed state.

This is the reason why UT2003/4 uses .dds files especially for larger images; the memory storage is smaller, which allows you to have more textures.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement