Confused

Started by
5 comments, last by AnotherOne 23 years, 6 months ago
Soo many compilers, what do I do? I thought about using the free borland compiler, but I need to know something first. If I use a certain compiler, will the exe. open in only certain programs, like if I wanted to program for DOS, or windows98, will using a certain compiler prevent me or the players of a game from playing it on the system of my choice? Do I have to fork up 100+ dollars for a compiler? Will anyone answer me? I hope so.
Advertisement
You''ve got me confused too
No you can go a head and use a compiler of your choice and it will run on the systems that it was designed for. If you use a DOS compiler like DJGPP, you code will work under win95/98 and DOS but it probably would need some fixing up to run under win2k.

If you use a windows compiler(MSVC, Borland, Mingw32, etc), programs that you make will run on windows platforms but won''t run under DOS or Linux.

That should help you out.
==========================================In a team, you either lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY.
I think what you''ve been hearing about that made you think that certain compilers limit the userbase of your executables, is that some free/demo/sharware compilers will only let you run executables compiled by your compiler when it''s accompanied with the compiler itself. I think that my old copy of Borland Light did that (many years ago).

Personaly I recommend that you go out and get yourself a comercial compiler. If you know where to look they really aren''t that expensive, plus you get all the perks that fully licesened software brings (all the help librarys - microsoft''s knowledge base is absolutely huge, no limitations, etc).

I bought my version of Microsoft Dev Visual C++ for around $30 at a computer show. If you''re a student you can probably find student prices at your local university bookstore.

I think it''s worth it.
-----------------------------Mice are an excellent source of mice.
I will personally recommend DJGPP. It is a DOS compiler, but it is very portable. Also, check out the Allegro graphics library. Unless you want to make windows games, DJGPP is a good bet. Not to mention free.
Several billion trillion tons of superhot exploding hydrogen nuclei rose slowly above the horizon and managed to look small, cold and slightly damp.-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
I highly recommend dev C++ and the free borland tools.

My Homepage
Anyone know how to get your hands on VC6 beginners edition? Other than buy Andrea LaMonthe''s lastest book?

Go to the local community college and pick up VC6 standard edition, I I saw it for $50 Don''t buy C++ Builder (its a *very* nice rad tool, but a crappy dev platform, imnsho)

- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Wow, I just came back to check out my post topic.
Thanks alot, all of you for your info!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement