Bloodshed Dev C++

Started by
4 comments, last by prh99 19 years, 6 months ago
I'm not sure if this has been posted or not (did a search and dint' turn up the results I needed), so i'll take a shot. I was wondering how to set up Dev C++ for use with 'Beginning C++ Game Programming'
Advertisement
Having not read the book in question, I don't know if I can really help you.. However, there isn't really all that much I can think of, off hand, that needs 'setting up'. Just install it, and you should, and I repeat, should be ready to go. Please keep in mind that I can not be held liable for any mental damage that may occur from a bad install ;)

Also, it might help if you listed exactly what you needed 'set up'.

Cheers from Iceland!
Free speech for the living, dead men tell no tales,Your laughing finger will never point again...Omerta!Sing for me now!
I haven't read the book but it seems like it is about C++ in general and console style applications/games. If that's correct and it uses the standard C++ libraries it should be quite easy setting up the environment.

Begin with clicking File\New\Project and click "Console Application". Probably Dev C++ will create a cpp-file with a default main function, maybe you want to erase that code and and write your own from the book. If there's no default file click and File\New\Source file to create a new one or Project\Add to project to add an existing file to your project.

If the book tells you to link to a library click "Project" and "Project Options" and "Directories". There you can browse for a directory containing the library or browse for a directory containing include files.

Dev C++ comes with a lot of such files and they're located in Dev-Cpp\lib and Dev-Cpp\include.

\Jimmy H
One of the more awkward things with DevC++ is using DirectX - it's not just a case of downloading the SDK from Microsoft as they use a different library filetype. However:
it does come with all the opengl libraries (but read the dev FAQ).
the directx stuff is available, but you'll probably need to google for it.
I am dropping in again, routine stuff after shirking and getting more inclined to Basic rather than thinking I could tackle Pascal and C/C++ at once, as I am gonna but, hey! I used to pull Chi off the computer Prmng section at Borders??? There's some DrakBASIC??? ... So, you guys set me up for next month when I can find a buck, I'll try to get something in the same vain, maybe come up to it with Microsoft. In the mean time, I have a few minutes today and will get back to the encyclo on Basic.

If you use the Dev_C++ update feature you can download a DevPack for DirectX, I personally haven't downloaded it. You can find the update feature in the tools menu. Other than that I can't comment as I haven't read the book.

Good Luck :)

[Edited by - prh99 on October 16, 2004 12:27:18 AM]
Patrick

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement