User interface again...

Started by
5 comments, last by Rob Loach 19 years, 6 months ago
Can you answer me the following questions: 1) What is the necessary knowledge for doing in game user interface programming and design? I mean most used programming languages, math, sociology, photoshop etc. In details if possible. 2) Is user interface design more satisfactory and challenging than graphics programming? 3) Is it easier to find user interface jobs than graphics programming? I appreciate any type of answers even a small responce.
Advertisement
User interface design is applicable across sectors (not just gamedev) so it's a more flexible skill.

Innovative user interfaces attract certain developers - like how in Black and White you can do everything by gestures.

If you wanted to concentrate on developing your user interface skills - a good place to start is to wrap up command line functions that you think would be nicer to have a user inteface. This kind of seperation is popular on the (li)unix platforms especially.

A lot of Game developers see the UI menus and everything as a chore and prefer to concentrate on the polygons flying around everywhere, so you could be welcome on a team.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
What programming languages are most used, Java, C#, C etc?
Quote:Original post by 3dguru
What programming languages are most used, Java, C#, C etc?

I recommend C for speed and simple games a-la Tetris/Arcanoid and C++ for complicated games using lots of classes

EDIT:
Java is slow (I mean SLOOOW on x86) and C# is not faster than C/C++
Ok thanks for the help.
Ack - careful of people saying Java and other languages are slow compared to C and C++ - best see it for yourself for your own application.

C and C++ may be fast - but the virtual machine based languages are quicker to develop in and more robust... they encourage good design on the most part, where as C and C++ let you get away with anything - good and bad.

There are some great games in Java - heck some of the great fun games around at the moment are even in Flash... it doesn't matter what tool you use to express yourself - as long as you get the end result you like.

So C++ if you want to jump right in to the deep end, but there is NOTHING wrong with learning the other languages, especially when exploring high-level concepts such as user interface design.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Argh. The speed doesn't matter when it comes to games. The only thing that matters is that you get what you wanted when you first began planning.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement